Austin's F-Superduty work to play build

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get in line! After showing these pics, I've got so many people asking me 'my secret'. LOL

Youtube has all the secrets you want.. I repainted the hood and front fenders of my Z71 this way. Turned out real nice, but its a TON of work to get it to look super nice. No one believed it was done with brush and rollers.
I probally had more time in wetsanding and buffing than if I had just built a paint booth adn sprayed it.

Looks nice so far. Great job.

austin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks fellas.

Corey - it's gonna take quite some time! I'm already planning 4 camping spots on the way. :D

As for the paint, there isn't a drop of paint from a spray can on this truck. Pretty simple process-
1. prep surface, primer.
2. thin enamel paint with mineral spirits, about 1:1 mix
3. roll with foam roller, 2 light coats at a time
3a. wet sand in between coats
4. allow paint to harden and cut with compound
5. tell your crazy story to an interweb forum!

As for the axle, I'd like to know if there's any benefit to having it in its current spot. I really don't want to mess with moving it, though. And I'm not moving the flares - the proportions would be off.

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score
As for the axle, I'd like to know if there's any benefit to having it in its current spot. I really don't want to mess with moving it, though. And I'm not moving the flares - the proportions would be off.

Looks like when the truck is loaded down the wheels will rub the inside fender.

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score
What you could do is move the bed back on the frame till the axle is center in the wheel well, then fill the gap between the cab and the bed with a custom headacke rack mount on the frame.

I've seen some newer f450's done this way, but they just filled the gab with sheet metal to match the bed.

EDIT: Here, I found a picture.

You must be registered for see images attach

That's a spacer between the cab and the bed,

Last edited:

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
moving the axle is EASY! the frame is straight. unbolt the hangers and move it to where you want. redrill and presto. alterd wheelbase. then shorten the shaft and brake lines and ur done. one of the best things i did to my crawler.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
id move the bed back throw in some stacks and call it a day or those small wheel boxes from tractor supply

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
The shortest C-N-C being 137, or was it a Superduty thing? My 86 F350 C-N-C I know is shorter.

Every standard wheel base OBS C-n-c I have had or seen has been 133". SD standard c-n-c wheel base is like 141" or something.AND SD pickups are about 137"

I know I have seen wreckers shorter, but those axles were slid forward and the frame chopped. What WB is your truck?

austin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am REALLY tempted to have everything media blasted so I can start over. The results I posted are great, but some of these surfaces I'm working with just aren't playing nicely. $600 get's the cab forward blasted with plastic media or soda. (price includes jambs, full doors, full inner fenders, and inside hood.)

BUT - I'm back to driving this sucker for the winter! It sure is nice to wake the entire household at 6:45 in the morning!!!! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance