ATS turbo install bent wrench?

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Gang!
So I've not cursed or complained until now... For those who have done this, it seems difficult /impossible to get to the 9/16 nut that's on the passenger side of the turbo oil pedestal. There's not enough room to put the assembled up pipe/turbo/pedestal in as one piece. I can drop the turbo down on the pedestal, but I'm unable to get to the nut. I can unbolt the pedestal and lift it a bit to improve access, but there's still not enough working room to turn a wrench. Tips, tricks, help! I'm officially swearing...

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for both of those nuts i find what works best for me is a 3/8 ratchet with a pivoting head, still a pain in the ass to get in there but slightly easier than an end wrench or normal ratchet, and usually for the rear nut i go in from the valve cover between or underneath injection lines

Runningaford

Reaction score
I feel your pain!!! It was a pita to get my turbo in. I used the banks downpipe, which meant beating the crap out of my firewall on the passenger side; there's a spot weld seem that I used a sawzall to cut a few lines in it to bend it back quite a bit.

To actually get the turbo in though, I had to fit the pedestal, turbo, up pipe, and downpipe all loosely; nuts, bolts barely started. I then slowly tightened it all down. Other than that, once you get your crossover pipes in, and all plumbing done, you can take a bottle of soapy water, and just after starting a cold engine, you can spray it on the connections to look for exhaust leaks; after doing this, finding them, and fixing, it gave me a couple more psi of boost.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
for both of those nuts i find what works best for me is a 3/8 ratchet with a pivoting head, still a pain in the ass to get in there but slightly easier than an end wrench or normal ratchet, and usually for the rear nut i go in from the valve cover between or underneath injection lines

Thanks!
That's exactly what I wound up doing. PITA, but doable.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel your pain!!! It was a pita to get my turbo in. I used the banks downpipe, which meant beating the crap out of my firewall on the passenger side; there's a spot weld seem that I used a sawzall to cut a few lines in it to bend it back quite a bit.

To actually get the turbo in though, I had to fit the pedestal, turbo, up pipe, and downpipe all loosely; nuts, bolts barely started. I then slowly tightened it all down. Other than that, once you get your crossover pipes in, and all plumbing done, you can take a bottle of soapy water, and just after starting a cold engine, you can spray it on the connections to look for exhaust leaks; after doing this, finding them, and fixing, it gave me a couple more psi of boost.

Luckily, I was able to get it in with the pivot ratchet.
I didn't think to use soapy water spray to search for exhaust leaks, thanks for the heads up!