ATS or Banks Turbo Kits?

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As soon as money allows, Dad is gonna rebuild the 7.3 in his 1990 F-350 CC Dually, and when he does he plans on adding a turbo to the mix. In this thread I intend to gather some opinions on each kit and the strengths/weaknesses of both. That being said, What do y'all think about them?

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont think the brand is as important as which kind you want, Wastegated or Non-wastegated. If I had to buy a brand new turbo, it would probably be a hypermax Non wastegated.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ebay has a seller out here that has several Banks complete turbo systems. Thay all come with complete exhaust systems too. They are about $1000.00 cheaper than what Banks sells them for. Be warned though. You can't easily buy replacement parts for them. They are made by Mistubishi and they have the parts but want you to tell them what part number it is that you want. I know of a few places where you can buy replacement center cartridges but thats about it. Most any turbo shop will sell a rebuild kit but the hard parts are not readily available... Ask Typ4 Russ about that.... Hypermax seems to be the best about offering aftermarket support when you call them.. ATS seems like they only want to help out the computer type trucks these days.... More money and less work in that....

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I like the fact that the banks kit comes complete. I think that is nice insurance to the fact that things should go together well. The thing I dont like is the Mitshubishi turbo Banks uses, like said above, real hard to find parts for. If it used a standard garrett turbo platform, I think it would be the best kit.

ATS is a good kit, at least mine is, dont know about the new Aurora turbo's. The bad thing about them is they have horrible customer service, it seems they try to shove us IDI guys to the side for the newer trucks.

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turbo Pics

Could you fellas post some pics of the turbo setups on your trucks? I'd kinda like to see how the charger sits atop the engine.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could you fellas post some pics of the turbo setups on your trucks? I'd kinda like to see how the charger sits atop the engine.

Best just to visit the manufactures web site. Hypermax shows you their turbo on an engine out of a truck, which is nice. Short of that, just click on the links in peoples signitures. Everybody posts under hood pics of their different installs. If you want to see about installing a Hypermax, check out our tech article here, or the one I did on TDS many moons ago.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like stated above, I liked the "completeness" of the Banks kit. But, I wish it were eaiser to get parts to rebuild those turbos. I've heard bad things about ATS customer service as well. I know that when I called them prior to buying my turbo, I was really put off by the way they delt with me on the phone as well. That's was another reason I chose Banks and that I wanted a wastegated turbo.

Photos below:
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Heath

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's y'all's thoughts on wastegates?

I like the reduced turbo lag. I've had boost start at roughly 1000 RPM with hauling a load on a grade. Now with that said, I've had my wastegate disabled for the last 6 months as I couldn't get more that 8-9 psi even with the wastegate rod shortend as much as possible. So, I just unhooked the tube and plugged it up.

Heath

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How does a wastegate help reduce turbo lag? To my thinking bypassing gases away from the impeller would increase lag:dunno

OB_WAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How does a wastegate help reduce turbo lag? To my thinking bypassing gases away from the impeller would increase lag:dunno

Here's a guess by someone who's new to turbos :)

I would think that the gate starts out closed to provide full pressure to the turbo for spooling. but adjusts itself as needed to ensure the compressor does not overbuild pressure. ??

I would also wonder if you could have a turbine that builds pressure faster (and potentially higher?) and use the wastegate to manage backpressure.

Last edited:

CoalMiner

Reaction score
it starts out closed for max volume of air and when it reaches a certain pressure it starts to open. banks makes big head actuators that just have a stiffer spring in the head.

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So then is the wastegated Banks turbo Bigger, Smaller, or the same size as the non-wastegated?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online