Reman IP fuel setting for existing turbo?

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just came to me! I have the forward-most wire on the driver's side of the pump pulled off so the truck won't start. Is that connection needed for the pump to work? (My excuse for ignorance is I was USCG trained on GM 6V-53 series engines and this IP stuff is new to me.)

That’s the fuel cut off solinoi, it needs power to it. It may start.
Well I was going to tell you that I think you got a bad pump and all...was busy writing that post when you updated, haha!

Sounds like a wiring issue after all! :idiot:

You don't need to worry about the engine starting, it won't start with 6-8 injectors cracked since the fuel won't be going into the cylinders.

Have fun tomorrow!

O-Ring

Reaction score
Success! Several of the connections started to squirt during the first few seconds of cranking. I got six of them closed off in six short crank sessions and then the motor started on the seventh. I’m REALLY grateful for all the helpful advice. Still need to get the turbo air filter rig all back on, fiddle with the TPS, and find out if I’ve got the fuel set at a good spot with that hex socket screw on the passenger side.

I was asked earlier where I got the reman pump. It came from thedieselstore.com for just under $700.00, shipping included. They give you a couple of weeks to ship them the core before they charge you for that. They are part of the Seidel Diesel Group that also owns Midwest Fuel Injection (IL), Metro Fuel Injection (CT, PA & MA), Pacific Fuel Injection (OR), Bell Turbo (OR), Turbo Exchange (NC), and International Fuel Injection (FL), among others, so readers might have done business with one of the family companies. The pump came packed very well in a reasonable amount of time and looked very well reconditioned from the outside (but of course, that can be meaningless). A prepaid UPS label for returning the core was in the carton with the pump.

I have to say a big public thank you to Mark Nehme at Metro Fuel Injection in PA, which is where the core got shipped to. I discovered to late that I had left the tab that inserts into the TPS still connected to the core pump. I called and spoke with Mark and he agreed to send it back to me as soon as the pump arrived. Two days later, a plastic shipping bag arrived from Metro with a hole in it and no tab. I contacted Mark and asked him where I could buy one and he said he’d find another one and send it to me, which he did – in a cardboard box big enough to hold a grapefruit. He could not have been more friendly or helpful!

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did they do a complete rebuild (including a new rotor head)? I know the $400 "Dupont overhaul" ones at the chain parts stores don't...

O-Ring

Reaction score
The rep told me their reman pumps are completely disassembled and cleaned and for DB2 Stanadyne pumps, they replace the overflow valve, metering valve, lift pump blades, lift pump line, advance piston and all gaskets and seals with new components. All other parts that fall outside of the original manufacturer’s specifications are replaced. I find that to be reasonable as long as all replacement parts are OEM or better. It's got a one year unlimited miles warranty so I guess the proof is going to be how long it runs. I'll report back once I've had the truck on the road a few hundred miles (or earlier if it fails). In the meantime, I've said all I can say about the vendor that would be of any value.

O-Ring

Reaction score
FINISHED and on the road. Figured I’d replace the throttle position sensor while I was at it and took some pictures of the position of the old one before removal and installed the new one, matching as closely as I could. That worked out - - took a 45 minute test drive and the truck shifted correctly. No fuel leaks anywhere and only normal exhaust smoke the entire time. THANKS A MILLION to the several of you who answered my questions -- made all the difference! I made a separate post about my experience with the air box removal and reinstallation. Hope it can help someone else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsthomas21

Members online