ATS elbow and downpipe

bigbrown250

Reaction score
Is the turbine housing exhaust or intake side? Plan on getting the kit in the spring and going 4" then a 5" stack. Is it worth 700 dollars or not. Wanna try to get some more power.

1dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The exhaust side is the turbine housing the air side is the compressor housing. I'm thinking you should be able to get the pieces you need for half that. It was worth it for me, dropped egt by 200 degrees after turning up pump even more than I did the first time with less smoke.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say just get a 3" downpipe and you will still drop your egts no problem. The outlet housing are not much different except stock one takes a band clamp for 2 1/2" and the ats will let you slide in a 3" pipe(If your lucky to get the pipe to fit in the housing) The stock downpipe is what kills our trucks. As far as the new turbine housing, if I remember correctly, I think it lets your turbo spool up 200 rpms sooner. If thats worth couple hundred bucks to you go for it. Not me though. If I would do it all over again I would just make a downpipe and settle for that.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wrap the crossover, worth 1 lb at low speed.

bigbrown250

Reaction score
Does it cut down on leaks or does it hold heat better. I would guess leaving it unwrapped would be better. Coolers better right?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Not when it comes to a turbocharged engine. The more heat you can ram down that turbos throat (so to speak) the better. Because hot air has more velocity than cool air. SO thus the hotter the exhaust gasses are that are being fed through the turbine the faster its going to spin that turbine.

IDIJunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you blow the head gasket in a rebuilt 7.3? I thought it wasnt really possible. 6.9's are the ones that are supposed to do that. You had just put new head gaskets in that thing before the moose pump and cooler right? I thought you'd torn that thing all the way down?

Sean, The farthest that I have been into my engine was new valve cover gaskets, and the truck has 140,000 miles on it. Last year I did a moose pump, injectors, glow plugs (that you supplied me with :thanks:), innercooler, turbo upgrades, 5" exhaust, aluminum radiator, water pump, and valve cover gaskets. I was really bummed out when the head gaskets blew since it has only been about 4000 miles ago that everything was done. At least now I have a reason for some head studs ;Sweet :D.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine doesn't leak at all, but I had a issue even getting the pipe to slide into the housing. I had to take a hacksaw blade and cut two slots in the downpipe to even get the pipe to slide in. A real poor design in my opinion. Much rather use a band clamp.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jchellen2

Members online