ATS Downpipe and elbow problem

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Yes I still have the factory downpipe.

Hypermax has a downpipe for these?

Sorry, sounded like you had got a whole new kit, no they don't have just a downpipe for a factory turbo, at least not pre powerstroke.

What exactly did you get , did you get the turbo housing upgrade kit with the 5" downpipe from ATS for your factory turbo?

1994IDI

Reaction score
Just a 3" elbow to fasten to the factory housing, and a 3" downpipe that slips into the elbow.

1994IDI

Reaction score
If you are running the factory turbo make your own DP. Do you still have the factory DP?

What would be the advantage to making my own? I don't have the capability to do this, but I was just wondering what you would do to a custom built, that you couldn't do to the ATS dp.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Just a 3" elbow to fasten to the factory housing, and a 3" downpipe that slips into the elbow.

That's what they used to call their upgrade kit for the factory turbo. I'm afraid you're just finding out like most folks that their stuff rarely fits. At this point you're pretty much stuck with what you have unless you want to buy a whole different turbo system, so you're just going to have to cobble up a bracket.

Did you check the pipe to see if the slip fit end goes into the hole on the new piece first? sometimes the downpipes won't go in at all and you have to grind them down for them to go in and for others they go all the way in with no resistance and leak like crazy. Quality control sucks at that place. If its too loose, you might want to use some stove sealer on it so you aren't sucking fumes in the cab. You won't be able to buy that stuff in another 2 months until next winter so if it's loose, grab some.

Mr.Diesel

Reaction score
What would be the advantage to making my own? I don't have the capability to do this, but I was just wondering what you would do to a custom built, that you couldn't do to the ATS dp.

The PSD DP fits with some mods. It sounds like a mcuh better option. I am not fimilliar with what you have but I modded my pipe and installed it last week end with no problems...

1994IDI

Reaction score
RLDSL: I missed the 2nd half of your post.. The downpipe does go all the way in. But its loose and falls back out as soon as I drive the truck down the road. I'm not familiar with stove sealer. What is it and how does it work?
As of right now, I'm blowing all of my ehaust on the firewall, as the downpipe won't stay in. No fumes yet, I guess my cab's still sealed up good. lol

What about putting some JB weld around the downpipe where it goes into the elbow?

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck getting it apart then,

Just have to find away to make a bracket that will hold it in. I would probably also make a bracket that holds the exhaust up after the down pipe. This would force the down pipe to at least stay close to the elbow while you figure something out.

Is the down pipe the same as regular exhaust pipe? Maybe a muffler shop could flair it out a little to make it fit a little tighter?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
RLDSL: I missed the 2nd half of your post.. The downpipe does go all the way in. But its loose and falls back out as soon as I drive the truck down the road. I'm not familiar with stove sealer. What is it and how does it work?
As of right now, I'm blowing all of my ehaust on the firewall, as the downpipe won't stay in. No fumes yet, I guess my cab's still sealed up good. lol

What about putting some JB weld around the downpipe where it goes into the elbow?
Stove sealer is the stuff used for sealing up wood stoves and their pipes, sometimes called furnace sealer and theres other names for it. Most hardware stores in your area should carry it, but it's seasonal, the stuff is only available in fall and winter months.
The nice thing about it is it's removable. You do not want to use JB weld as it would not be removable and the next time you had to do something to the transmission, you;d end up wanting to hire someone to kick your backside around the block a few times for gluing it together :eek:

As a last resort exhaust assembly paste might seal it up without gluing it together too bad. If the pipe fit is loose enough to wiggle now, you would be able to break that stuff out easily enough.

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The PSD DP fits with some mods. It sounds like a mcuh better option. I am not fimilliar with what you have but I modded my pipe and installed it last week end with no problems...

Wondering what you mean by some mods? Can somebody do this with average hand tools?

1994IDI

Reaction score
x2 to fury9s statement.

I am going to try to find stove sealer.

This will sound like a desperate option, but could I wrap the downpipe with duct tape or exhaust wrap and shove it in there? What problems would this cause.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
duct tape + exhaust pipe........

please tell me you are joking with that one!

sounds like your best bet it to take off the turbo, take off the downpipe, go to an exhaust shop, and have them make you something like a 4" long adapter pipe, then all you'd need is 2 exhaust clamps to hold it together

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stove cement won't hold the pipe in, it will only fill the gap. If you can drive the truck to a muffler shop do it and have them extend the tab on the down pipe or lengthen the ATS connector or similar. If you can't do that, PM me and I'll make you a connector for a 12 pack. Of course I would run the risk of being tagged as a Thieving Rip-off artist by some who lurk this board.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
x2 to fury9s statement.

I am going to try to find stove sealer.

This will sound like a desperate option, but could I wrap the downpipe with duct tape or exhaust wrap and shove it in there? What problems would this cause.

THis is the type of stuff you are looking for. That will keep the gasses out of you cab. Make sure you have your mounting bracket worked out first before you poke it in with that stuff or it will just crack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online