ATS Downpipe and elbow problem

bobracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...What about putting some JB weld around the downpipe where it goes into the elbow?

JB weld won't work, the exhaust is too hot and the JB Weld will just turn into dust. We tried this as a quick fix on a racecar exhaust manifold, almost made it past qualifying.
So if you need to remove JB Weld a touch will break it down fast.

bigguy22

bigguy22
Reaction score
I did my upgrade year ago. Took some time to get it rigth. But its working fine 30,000 miles on it. No leaks. Did mine the same as in the pics.Good luck. Plus mine came in days of ordering.

6.5dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a hypermax slip on down pipe and it leaks like crazy, slipped in or not. what could i do to fix this, everything on the right side of the engine bay is pure black:confused:

Mr.Diesel

Reaction score
Wondering what you mean by some mods? Can somebody do this with average hand tools?

Cut and weld...I took a bunch of pics. I thought about posting them up in a different thread. I know when I first got this truck I had lots of questions about a DP and never found a good solution so I made one my self...

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is going to sound dumb but, are you trying to put the wrong end to the turbo? Reason I say is I spent a half an hour trying to get it to fit right (the wrong way) one time, maybe I had too many beers. But it will almost fit right the wrong way.

1994IDI

Reaction score
No need to blame the beer. I did that as well. As you said it almost fits the wrong way. But I definitely cannot get it all the way into the outlet when I flip it around. I tried some JB weld, that didn't cut it. For a temporary fix, I pushed all the way into the outlet,and used zip ties to secure it to the up pipe. It's not tight, but at least I'm getting my exhaust into the downpipe now.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a helluva leak on my old 088 Turbo kit when I first installed it. I ended up sealing it with stovepipe cement- and never had trouble with it leaking again.

When I installed my new Aurora 2000 kit, which I think has the same outlet and downpipe as you're describing, it was very difficult to install the downpipe all the way into the housing. I welded a small tab onto the downpipe and used it to tap the downpipe into the housing with a hammer. I put a thin smear of grease on the downpipe first, and got it hammered home.

Hope that helps...

Ryan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online