ATS 088 or 093?

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Been while since I been on here....won't go into why now, but I got a question(s).

I got both complete set-ups, ATS 088 & factory ATS 093 Gated turbo.
Been running the Factory 093 on a '94 IDI engine that's in my '90 F350. Recently had to pull the 093 turbo to pull the Inj pump etc. Is there anyway at all to pull the pump without pulling the 093 turbo? When I was running the 088 I could pull/put the pump on fairly easily.

Thinking about going back with the 088 for a couple of reasons:
1. Easier to pull & put the inj pump. I'm always/occasionally swapping IP's
2. While running this 093 gated turbo I didn't really tell that much difference in performance of 088 vs 093. Not into hot-roddin, just working the heck out'a this old truck.
3. Thinking about trying to get one or other of the turbo's rebuilt & maybe get them rebuilt with different guts to maybe have more low-end pulling. For me both of these are kind'a hi-end RPM turbos. (wind up, speed shift fast, try to get into next gear by 2250 or it won't pull on up in that gear. )
4. Out here in Oregon who can rebuild these turbos? I think Typ4/Russ maybe used to do some work on these but I don't know how to get hold of him.????
5. Who out here can rebuild IP's. I called Oregon Fuel Inj yesterday on rebuilding pumps & turbos. They send turbos out & the price has gotten really up there on pump rebuild.......

Anybody got thoughts, ideas, etc, etc
TIA, James

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
good to see you back, you had some of the best stories LOL

i cant really compare but when i was running a turbo i had the 093 set up. i could pull the injection pump without touching the turbo. heck even glow plugs were not really hard with some extensions under the turbo and some long needle nose pliers.

i just unbolted the injection lines separate and everything came out fine. it was a little tricky getting the bottom lines though without having double jointed fingers, but i got it with some perseverance and crows feet.

Russ is still active, at least on facebook, and still hangs out here

Last edited:

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Yeah I can/could do the injectors & glowplugs with the 093 on there. But the pump & lines are a different thing for me. Maybe undoing some of the lines from pump makes a difference.???

Anybody got any thoughts or experiences running both turbos....the 088 & the 093? Like I say I couldn't really tell that much difference in performance between the two.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Maybe your wastegate wasn't working correctly? The non gated 088 would run like you described, but the gated 093 should have more lower end power since it builds boost at a lower RPM if everything's working right.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Maybe your wastegate wasn't working correctly? The non gated 088 would run like you described, but the gated 093 should have more lower end power since it builds boost at a lower RPM if everything's working right.

I think the gate is working ok, I just never really worked this thing really, really hard since I put this '94 turbo-ed engine in last year.
Right now I'm changing out injection pumps & got the 093 turbo off.....trying to decide which turbo to go back with. Which ever I go with I'm thinking about maybe getting it rebuilt. And maybe rebuilt different. The 088 now has about 900K on it & the 093 I don't know???
Either way changing out turbo's ain't easy & I'd rather not do it again for a while. sigh....

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My time during the day is very short, 12 plus hours. Remind me on saturday.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online