ATF to unstick lifter?

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been digging through here and I see it mentioned a bunch of times but no specifics on how to do it. Rev it? Idle it for a while? All ATF, half ATF?

Transmission is out, but new flywheel in so it starts.

I am trying a hail mary to see if I can get this truck to the Rally in 2 days. New injectors, but still have the tap and white smoke. I'll make a video but I'm not sure that will even help with diagnosing noise.

How is it recommended to use the ATF to clear up a possible stuck lifter?

I pulled the valve covers (not valley pan) and nothing floppy or easily pushed down, no plastic seats missing.

I'm assuming don't drive this pig 6 hours to the rally haha. This freaking sucks all the balls

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I had a stuck lifter it was a distinguished sound of thumping from the intake.
Ive heard people draining the oil, filling it up with diesel over night, drain, and fresh oil. Then around the block.

I skipped the diesel step but changed the oil and let it idle and around the block a few times and it unstuck.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Idle around the block as in drive it around the neighborhood at idle?

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you may be uncertain about the cause of the white smoke and whether it is a stuck lifter or not.
It was a deep thump through the intake when I had it on my idi not like valve train.

If I had white smoke I would compression, leak down test, check timing, question about bad injector (you said yours are new), question if the injectors are sealing (you can run the truck and then feel if anyone of the lines are warmer then the others), maybe IP.

Aslong as your sure the white smoke smells like diesel and not coolant its not burning properly.

If you need to compression test quick it's fastest through the glow plug holes. I have a video on YouTube how to do it if you haven't done it and what kit to buy from harbor freight and grind the adapter down.

Or I have no issue driving over the adapter right now so you can borrow it.
I know what it's like trying to get everything together on a rush.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why didn't you come by before haha, you're so close!
Haha yep less than an hour. I'm going back in the garage I'll PM my cell incase you need the adaptor or anything. Tonight I'm free but busy tomorrow.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
During this work, has it consumed anything it shouldn’t? Oil, Coolant....

How much have you ran it? Up to normal operation, or just started and saw smoke and shut it down? Could it be something in the pump sticking from sitting? Glow plugs working, I know it’s “NASA Hot” and it would probably start ok with a bad plug or three, but smoke.....

I know you are not new to these..... but sometimes it doesn’t hurt to start with the “Is it plugged in and turned on” step in troubleshooting.....

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hard to tell if consuming anything as it has driven about 80 miles in 2 years.

Have not gotten to operating temp yet, and you're right, saw the smoke, heard noise shut it down (last September I think?) And it has only been moved twice

I had idled it long enough to crack each injector line to listen to change in idle this winter and I really felt like at that time the #4 injector was it! So
I
knew I had bought a set of BB from Russ so I was focused on the clutch and death wobble and thought this wasn't an issue at all.

Just compression tested one bank and so far so good. But now my tester stuck at 60psi haha. Going to go grab an HF one for now.

Have to finish a customer vehicle first before I continue to mess with this, so will be some long evenings

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d put hot shots stiction eliminator in it. I know it’s for powerstroke injectors, but it cleans anywhere oil flows.
I think it even helps with flow through oil cooler. Just my 2 cents.

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d put hot shots stiction eliminator in it. I know it’s for powerstroke injectors, but it cleans anywhere oil flows.
I think it even helps with flow through oil cooler. Just my 2 cents.

Same here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online