Thanks! (ATF in the fuel filter does wonders)

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
It ran good but it was on 31” tires, 4x4, long bed, extended cab, E40D, and had the 5.8l. It just drank gas fast!

Yeah, those pre-Tritons were guzzlers. I wouldn't buy earlier than a 97 4.6L Triton V8 if i was looking for a somewhat fuel efficient gasser half ton.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
That depends on your set up. My Red Truck was getting 19.4 MPG the last time that I checked. That was driving 70 on the highway.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
That depends on your set up. My Red Truck was getting 19.4 MPG the last time that I checked. That was driving 70 on the highway.
Way better than my 95’. With a 302, 2x4, and that gearing it makes sense you would do better. My 07 4.6l F150 only gets about 15mpg. But we live in a metro, so lots of lights, stop signs, and traffic. I have a bit of a lead foot to boot. Guessing your truck with me in it would only get 16mpg.:cool:

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it didn't last. I just started it and got the smoke show again.
I'm glad I didn't try to cancel the new injectors.
Hopefully those are what it needs.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Well, it didn't last. I just started it and got the smoke show again.
I'm glad I didn't try to cancel the new injectors.
Hopefully those are what it needs.

Smoke on startup could be leaky valve stem seals letting oil get down into the cyls while parked. Or does it smoke still after 20+ seconds?

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Up until the ATF treatment it would smoke and have a slight stutter until it was fully warmed up (150 deg. + coolant temp.). That was 10 minutes +/- of smoke.
After the overnight ATF treatment there was no smoke at startup.
When I started it today it did the old smokeshow. I shut it off after about 20 seconds under the assumption that an injector is stuck again.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess it's mostly the engine noise.
And the rpms at 60mph (due to the C6 auto 3-speeed). I usually avoid 4-lane roads when I can anyways but sometimes I do end up on them (and once in a while the turnpike which is posted at 70mph and most people are doing 80mph).
And why does diesel cost $1/gal. more than the cheapest gas? Plus the additive.
Thankfully, I don't really go anywhere since I work from home. Between my 1985 Benz (gasser) and this truck I probably won't put 5k miles on either of them in a year. So the fuel price really isn't an issue. I just don't understand why diesel would cost more.
I still really like this truck. And hopefully I'll come around and learn to be happy with the drivetrain.
Or maybe I'll hit the lottery and can get a ZF5 tranny and have the cab soundproofed. lol
For now I guess I'll just have to upgrade the radio and speakers. ;-)

Why does Diesel cost more? HMMM
As I remember (and some one will tell me Iam full of it) Back when Al Gore was hanging his hat at the WH,and who was the big Dude? Clinton?
Gore who is Mr. Inviro, noticed that different fuels have different amounts of BTU`s. Diesel has more than Gas, and they started taxing the fuels and different gasses by the amount of energy ea one has.

Before Trump moved into the WH, kicked back in the big easy chair with his Boots on the Desk, there was 8 years of obama and the dude that is in charge now.
Diesel as I remember it was $1 more than Gas.

The 4 years of Trump, fuels came down, and Diesel dropped below the price of Gas in a lot of cases, $1 below gas. I was paying $2.05 for Diesel, now with the current occupier, the same station, it is now $4.95.
And we are back to Diesel being back to $1 or so more that gas again.
We have a Valero here in town and they are $5.19...bless their cottin pickin hearts.

Back in 10/81 I bought a new Datsun KC 5-spd with the Nissan Diesel engine. Diesel was about $.75 a gallon, soon as I bought it, the price jumped to $.96.
Put 480K miles on it till I lost #2 cylinder, still have it out in the shop.

With My 86 F-250 6.9 4-spd 3:55 gears, I can click along at 20mpg. Put my foot in it racing to ea red light, yeah it will drop. Connect my car trailer, and will really pull it down.
Gets pretty darn windy here in Nevada, and that will effect the Mileage big time.
Bought it with 192K now up ti 323K that is 128K in just about 8 years.
Have no idea how old the pump and injectors are, but don`t have any smoke problems, never have so far.
I do have a new set and Pump from R&D IDI Performance I bought about 3 yrs ago. Eventually will install them, but it`s running to good to screw it up...LOL.

Your smoke problem could be a timing issue. Don`t remember what I read, maybe you did check the timing.
How many miles indicated on the spedo?
It is a pretty clean looking truck, especially living in Main and all the salt they use.

If you have the 4:10 rear end, yeah it will wind up the engine pretty good, but you are not going to hurt it.
Maybe a bit noisy`r.
Don`t worry about the traffic, they all go faster that the posted speed anyway, the right lane is for trucks and slower traffic.

You mentioned sound deadening it. I have an 85 super cab, last summer I stripped out the whole cab, and Dynamatted the whole interior, back wall, side walls and floor. Then got carried away and did the 86 also and doors. Really made a difference. Having carpet will also help.
Bought the Dynamat off E-Bay for $160, needed a 2nd box and got it at Summit racing for $165. Dang, need one more box, and the price jumped to $192.
Found the same stuff on Eastwood, on sale for (Ithink $99) Now I see it is back on sale and a couple $ cheaper.
Same exact same stuff as Dynamat.

I have one box of it left, thinking now to do the 80 Mercedes 240D.

Goat

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Why does Diesel cost more? HMMM
As I remember (and some one will tell me Iam full of it) Back when Al Gore was hanging his hat at the WH,and who was the big Dude? Clinton?
Gore who is Mr. Inviro, noticed that different fuels have different amounts of BTU`s. Diesel has more than Gas, and they started taxing the fuels and different gasses by the amount of energy ea one has.
That sure does explain a lot. When I was in high school in the late 80's, gas was $.88 per gallon. Diesel was $.08-$.10 cheaper than gas was.
Back in 10/81 I bought a new Datsun KC 5-spd with the Nissan Diesel engine. Diesel was about $.75 a gallon, soon as I bought it, the price jumped to $.96.
Put 480K miles on it till I lost #2 cylinder, still have it out in the shop.
That would be a cool truck. I always liked those old Datsuns. I really wanted to buy a neighbor's when I was in high school. The problem was that it sounded like it wasn't running on all four cylinders so I didn't attempt it. I had no idea that they even had a diesel option. That would make it even cooler.
Connect my car trailer, and will really pull it down.
I've noticed the same thing whit mine. Even empty, my two axle trailer will really pull down the power and MPG. I can barely tell a difference with my pickup bed trailer so I use that whenever I can instead of the flat bed trailer.
Gets pretty darn windy here in Nevada, and that will effect the Mileage big time
Yesterday evening, I went to do some errands. At me last stop, I went inside with the sun shining and, due to the humidity, it almost felt hot. There was almost no wind. While I was standing at the register, I noticed that it was cloudy and the wind was really blowing. I stepped outside and the temperature had dropped at least 10*. There was a couple of spots along the highway home where I could barely see past the front bumper because of the blowing dust. The wind had to have been blowing at least 40MPH out of the northwest. I was driving west. I held me speed, but all I could think was "I must be getting about the same mileage as Cubey does with his RV".
Put my foot in it racing to ea red light, yeah it will drop.
It sure will at that.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Around 78 Chevy had a diesel in their Pick Ups. There was a Christmas Tree grower in the area I worked that had the first one I had ever seen.
From that time on it seemed all the manufactures were on the Diesel craze.
Read about the Toyota and Datsun Diesels. No way I wanted a Datsun, but they were cleared by CARB first. Could buy a
Toyota anywhere in the world, but Calif.

There was a huge car sale in Scotts Valley at the old Santa Village amusement park, every dealer in the Santa Cruz area was there. Saw the first Rabbit PU, and a Delorian. (what the heck is that?)
Way out back was a big sign with an arrow pointing down "DIESEL", there was a red and a blue Datsun. Bought the red one because it had the Chrome strip on the tail Gate.
Paid $7820, never mind intrest rates were through the roof at that time...had to have it.
It was the best dependable engine I have ever owned, not powerful though, called it my motorized wheel barrow.
That engine is gear driven like the IH 6.9/7.3.
IH used the SD-33 6 CYL in their Scouts, last yr 80 it was turbo`d.
The Diesel craze hit a peak and died out sort of after the GM fiasco.
Even the Chevette had a 3 cyl Isuzu engine.
The Lincoln back in 84 (what ever mark # it was) had a BMW Diesel for a couple years.
And of course Mercedes had Diesels from way back, they were on the band wagon, before the wagon was built.

Car trailer is a 22ft all steel with a 10K GVW. model charger.
www.customtrailersaleinc.com Okla,city
Finishing up on the big Tractor Supply tool box on the tongue with a 12k lb HF Winch.
Thinking of mounting 2 of those cable spare tire winches up under the front of the deck. Out of sight and weather, and prying eyes.

Between Reno and Carson City is Washoe Valley, NDOT closes it off to trucks and other high profile vehicles. Wind coming down the back side of the Sierra can really blow. Some of the Big Rigs get so tuckered out fighting it, they they just lay down and rest for a while...LOL
That must be a big tow bill and citation from NHP.
Even the F-250 it will push it sideways, have to stay alert, and people still want to drive 70.

Gotta get going, got the bed back on the truck after working through the pulling fuel from the rear and dumping it into the front tank. Have a few loose ends to finish up...have a great day.
Beautiful day...no Wind.

Goat

CBRF3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Up until the ATF treatment it would smoke and have a slight stutter until it was fully warmed up (150 deg. + coolant temp.). That was 10 minutes +/- of smoke.
After the overnight ATF treatment there was no smoke at startup.
When I started it today it did the old smokeshow. I shut it off after about 20 seconds under the assumption that an injector is stuck again.
I think you may have contamination in your fuel system you likely have some moisture in it because this isn't normal even for a bad injector use a gallon jug add large bottle of howes fuel treatment to it add 1 quart of KLOTZ super techniplate 2 stroke oil and a bottle of power service diesel clear then dose the tank at a full tank about 1/2 jug aka 1/2 gallon ish then after this dose run tank till nearly empty refill then dose with 1 quart of the mix then again 1 quart once you refill. I run this mixture of treatment all year long it compensates for lack of lubrication of modern diesel and dryness of the fuel and fact modern diesel absorbs water easily and becomes contaminated easily compared old diesel our motors were designed for.

I want to point out the 1quart bottle is good for upto around 90 gallons of fuel in summer and around 50-60 gallons of fuel in winter and trust me your exhaust smells much better and you get alot more power / fuel mileage with this mix and plenty lubrication.

So in short in summer with a standard tank size of 20 gallons you can drop the dose ratio after your initial hard dosing to about 1/2 to 1/4 of what I said for you to dose at aka 1 gallon of my home brew fuel treatment will last you a long time and if you actually figure the price up for the better treatments on market your actually getting a much cheaper deal and also getting more of the treatment specifications our motors / fuel system require. Most treatments on market are not designed for our systems anymore and are for common rail setups with emisions systems and such so modern diesel fuel treatments are not designed for our trucks / motors anymore nor is the base fuel we are forced to run so we have to compensate for this hince my tried and true brew.

Last edited:

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
While we are discussing fuel prices, diesels, and Datsuns.

Around 1987 my younger brother had his F250 gas pickup stolen. He was 18 and working construction. They stole his truck one night and I knew he could not afford to be off work. My friends dad was selling his Nissan diesel, it had 120,000 or so miles. I bought it for $800 and told my brother if they found his truck just give the Datsun back, if not he could pay me when he could. 3 weeks later they found the truck, it was ticked for sitting to long. It was 2 miles from his house, he said the truck was running in fumes when he parked it, we think it ran out gas on the folks who stole it. So my brother picked me up and I brought a bunch of tools not knowing what it would take to get it running. We got it running and I got home around 11pm. I left the tools behind the seat. Wouldn’t you know it my Nissan was stolen that night! They found it a few days later at a train station but my $1,000 worth of Snap On tools were gone.

In the late 80’s and early 90’s I had a couple of VW Rabbit diesels and a Rabbit pick up. I lived in San Diego and when gas prices soared in the 80’s many bought diesel cars, put large auxiliary tanks in the trunks. They would drive into Mexico, fuel up for 2/3 less, then drive for a month and do it again. So later as these cars aged you could buy them cheap.

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, you have the diesel for the right reasons.
I don't haul much. Just a boat for 5 miles (twice a year), some dirtbikes in the bed on the summer weekends, and maybe help a friend move now and then.
My mechanic friend talked me into the diesel due to the anticipated longevity and simplicity. And he was probably right on that front.
I just need to adjust my attitude, I guess.
I think over time you’ll come to love it. You may have been a little bias going into the deal. 15 years down the road that old diesel will still be chugging and you’ll look back and realize it never gave you any trouble and never cost you a lot of money. May have just been like an old dog on the way: she drools, she stinks, she’s slow, but she’s faithful.
From the pics it looks like you have a really clean truck too, I love the paint and extra cab. I’d love a setup like you got one day!

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you may have contamination in your fuel system you likely have some moisture in it because this isn't normal even for a bad injector use a gallon jug add large bottle of howes fuel treatment to it add 1 quart of KLOTZ super techniplate 2 stroke oil and a bottle of power service diesel clear then dose the tank at a full tank about 1/2 jug aka 1/2 gallon ish then after this dose run tank till nearly empty refill then dose with 1 quart of the mix then again 1 quart once you refill. I run this mixture of treatment all year long it compensates for lack of lubrication of modern diesel and dryness of the fuel and fact modern diesel absorbs water easily and becomes contaminated easily compared old diesel our motors were designed for.

I want to point out the 1quart bottle is good for upto around 90 gallons of fuel in summer and around 50-60 gallons of fuel in winter and trust me your exhaust smells much better and you get alot more power / fuel mileage with this mix and plenty lubrication.

So in short in summer with a standard tank size of 20 gallons you can drop the dose ratio after your initial hard dosing to about 1/2 to 1/4 of what I said for you to dose at aka 1 gallon of my home brew fuel treatment will last you a long time and if you actually figure the price up for the better treatments on market your actually getting a much cheaper deal and also getting more of the treatment specifications our motors / fuel system require. Most treatments on market are not designed for our systems anymore and are for common rail setups with emisions systems and such so modern diesel fuel treatments are not designed for our trucks / motors anymore nor is the base fuel we are forced to run so we have to compensate for this hince my tried and true brew.
I do like the smell of Klotz. ;-) Or even better, the old (1980s?) Yamalube castor oil. ;-)
I run Amsoil in all my 2-strokes just because it's available nearby.
I was using the diesel additive (P.S.?) that's available at most stations around here.
I recently bought a gallon of Opti-Lube XPD but haven't filled up with it yet.
My fuel may have some contamination. I haven't put many miles on it yet and I don't know how long this fuel sat before I got it or if it was treated. I guess I will try the P.S. Clear Diesel and see if that helps while I'm waiting for my new injectors.
Thanks.
What would be the easiest way to drain my tanks if I decided to do that?

bigrick460

Reaction score
My 91 f350 with 7.3 3.55 rears and e4od will knock out 20 mpg easy on the open road. And that's on 33/12.50 tires. If I cleaned all the tools and crap out it will probably do better. I've done it too many times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsthomas21

Members online