Are you finding IDI parts in junkyards?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could also try looking at othe mechanically injected diesels. Volkswagon diesels might use the same line. I know the diesel ranger (mitsubishi diesel) uses a compatible injector line.

Can anyone confirm if there was such a standard back then?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to many in pick and pull in San Jose, but once in a while. Mostly they end up at my house, or Cals shop. We get all the cheap ones around here, and were pretty good about not stepping on each others tows to, pretty cool really.
hell.....
i think we spend more money between the two of us buying kill trucks than most of the yards do these days. i know two yards actively give sellers my number because they don't want to deal with the IDI trucks. for them the choker trucks make them more money;Sweet

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
around here they either are on the road, for sale, or crushed. I found some on craigslist but meh...

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found one yard with a handful of them. I already owe a couple guys here to go out and have a look. I haven't taken anyone's cash though and won't unless I get them what they need. I haven't forgotten you guys though.

Also my understanding is that David85 is correct about the other mechanically injected diesels having compatible fittings. I was told a VW or Mercedes would work ok, but I do not know about GM/Chevy 6.2 and 6.5 lines. Seems like they'd be a good match but don't know for sure.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was in dire straights when I broke down on my trip last year with a cracked fuel injection line. I was staying in a campground in Destin Florida, and had to drive all the way back to Pensacola, since that's the only place that had any junkyards down there. I went to everyone in the whole place. Found one idi that had gotten scooped up by the Obama cash for clunkers, but it had not been released yet to get parts off of it.

I must have went to 7 or 8 yards. Finally found a yard that had two 6.9 engines in the shed. He didn't want to cannibalize them, but finally had mercy and let me have the #1 injection line off of it. Driving around on 7 cylinders with a heavy camper is not much fun.

The junkyards are like everyone else, and if a truck sits for very long, it's going to the crusher. They want the new stuff they can make money with. The guys that have them sitting in their backyard are going to be the only hope pretty soon.

DragRag

Reaction score
hell.....
i think we spend more money between the two of us buying kill trucks than most of the yards do these days. i know two yards actively give sellers my number because they don't want to deal with the IDI trucks. for them the choker trucks make them more money;Sweet

That's because the yards don't realize what is actually there! I know they do get more money for 6.up-ohs then idi's but there are good parts that fetch it on these trucks.

dieselgiant

Dieselgiant
Reaction score
I was in dire straights when I broke down on my trip last year with a cracked fuel injection line. I was staying in a campground in Destin Florida, and had to drive all the way back to Pensacola, since that's the only place that had any junkyards down there. I went to everyone in the whole place. Found one idi that had gotten scooped up by the Obama cash for clunkers, but it had not been released yet to get parts off of it.

hummm sounds like me last week trying to find some injection lines in pecola, didn't find a single one-cuss, found an old one at a truck repair shop.

Last edited by a moderator:

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
I'll be installing one in my junkyard next week if all goes well ;Sweet they tend to keep going, any 4x4 is still in demand, even not running, in the yards they are sometimes trucks sold to California's early retirement plan, so we get a few, all quite nice.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
there is a yard near me that makes most of their money on 80's era F-series body parts.
Handy part is they don't value the engine parts that much.

They are right next to an old school international dealer. The kinda place that works on 6.0's but their service trucks are all 6.9's :p They have literally 5,000 sq ft of old idi parts.
Midway Truck, and Lott's Diesel respectively. Both in Douglas Ga.

These trucks are different than many. To find them in the junkyard you typically need to look in little baggies on a shelf. They do not stay long as a full blown truck, they get cut up to feed the ones that are still running.

Best of luck.
Drew

'94-Turbo-444

Reaction score
there is a yard near me that makes most of their money on 80's era F-series body parts.
Handy part is they don't value the engine parts that much.

They are right next to an old school international dealer. The kinda place that works on 6.0's but their service trucks are all 6.9's :p They have literally 5,000 sq ft of old idi parts.
Midway Truck, and Lott's Diesel respectively. Both in Douglas Ga.

These trucks are different than many. To find them in the junkyard you typically need to look in little baggies on a shelf. They do not stay long as a full blown truck, they get cut up to feed the ones that are still running.

Best of luck.
Drew

Thumbs up for parts in GA!

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Thumbs up for parts in GA!

Bit of a thread resurrection there. LOL

I do have problems finding IDI's in junkyards though... I think of it as a double edge-d sword. Not in junkyards mean they're (probably) still on the road. The other side though is that I can never find parts for my trucks. There's only one junkyard close to me that has ONE, SINGLE 7.3 IDI in it. I'm in the process of re-purposing most of it's parts for my newest acquisition. :D

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
one of my local JY's have a few idi's mostly bricknose's. they had one, still might, that was IIRC a slant nose F-250 D60 with 093 ats turbo on it. last i heard it ran too. i wanted to get the down pipe off of it so i could mod the PSD down pipe to work with the 093 outlet but they didn't want to part it out b/c it ran. i was paying attention to the turbo, but the rest of the truck didn't seem all bad. the interior looks pretty good to. apparently a woman was found dead in the cab.:confused::eek:

89greendiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rarley have I seen one in there and the one that I did see in there was sticks and stones. Your better bet is to type in "search tempest" or craigslist. Tempest helps alot but it doesn't beat going through craigs city by city.

+1 on searchtempest. I found my corolla and my truck using that filter