Are these trucks getting harder And harder to find?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have never had a new vehical be it car truck or beast in my 61 years of life... Don't plan on a new one either. The wifey on the other hand had a new 1974 Pinto when they came out. She special ordered it on her 17th birthday too. We drove the wheels off that thing too. Buying new has never been on my bucket list. Out here on the west coast I see many of these trucks because there is no salt on th roads. Yes, We have the beach communitys where the wetness will eat away at the vehicals but thats a long long term thing happening slowly. So we don't care much. What we can't nuy new is a ny idi block. In all my years of surfing ebay I have seen only one complete idi 7.3 for sale but... It was a donation to a diesel repair school. It was one of three and it had been taken apartthousands of times. I passed on it because of the feelings the threads were so well worn it would vibrate loose internally and throw a rod.. Might not have happened but it was not worth the chance to me. These engines will vibrate loose any part thats not tight. We all know that.. Ask towcat about the truck availablity out here... They are everywhere in all kinds of shape looking for new owners.. And you guessed it... NO RUST...:eek::D

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the only thing that bugs me about the older trucks, is no air bags. When I have little ones I want them to be safe

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
Little ones ride in the back anyway where there are no airbags until they're 80 lbs anyhow then they're not so little. Our diesel trucks can survive most normal accidents anyway and if we get hit by a semi or something, it probably won't matter how many airbags you got in the thing...

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like it has been said before, it happens to all cars. Most people drive vehicles less than 10 years old. It is cheaper to keep an old car running if you have the ability, but even that ends at a certain point. When my idi breaks something major, I will either look for a newer motor (for better efficiency) or a newer truck. I doubt I will buy a new one, but a few years old is still plenty new, as I keep my vehicles for around 20 years after I get them.

racin460

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Air bags hell..... when i was a kid i was not lucky enough to find the seat belts in my dads 1974 international pickup. the only thing a front air bag help on is front impacts so word to the wise is "drive safe"

lilredtdi

Reaction score
I like these trucks because they are Ford's.

I like these trucks because of the body style.

I like these trucks because for the most they were built to last.

I like these trucks because you can somewhat work on most of them easily.

I like these trucks because most parts are affordable and easy to find.

I like these trucks because the fuel economy is as good or better than new ones.

Most of all i like my truck has no payment.

Who has the dough to plunk down 60k or more for a truck?? Where i live people buy em just to drive. Never work em. How the fuc* can you justify the payment,insurance,maintenance and fuel just for looks???

No way jack, i will take my ole gal with some battle scars,creams and groans,thank you very much!!

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Air bags hell..... when i was a kid i was not lucky enough to find the seat belts in my dads 1974 international pickup. the only thing a front air bag help on is front impacts so word to the wise is "drive safe"

AMEN
When we were kids, they threw us in the back section of a station wagon to rattle around and play, there were no air bags, seat belts or car seats, just real stout vehicles and defensive driving, and this was when the y still had the prevailing speed law in most of the western states ( meaning 5 vehicles traveling at the same speed constituted a speed limit, or in other words, if you were out there on your own outside of city limit or traveling in a group of less than 5 vehicles .... no speed limit ) and I remember looking up and seeing that speedo get wrapped around pretty darn good heading out across the desert. It was fast enough to where we didnt mind the fact that there wasnt any air conditioning :) Biggest difference is there was a tiny fraction of the number of vehicles on the road and a whole lot less to have to look out for and EVERYONE had the same crappy brakes so they all left more room.

THese days you have people running at rush hour in vehicles crammed in 2 and 3 abreast every 20 feet running at speeds folks used to run out on open roads all alone, all slamming their brakes on at once everytime theres a dead chipmunk on the side of the road... it's no friggen wonder there's a safety problem these days.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like these trucks because they are Ford's.

I like these trucks because of the body style.

I like these trucks because for the most they were built to last.

I like these trucks because you can somewhat work on most of them easily.

I like these trucks because most parts are affordable and easy to find.

I like these trucks because the fuel economy is as good or better than new ones.

Most of all i like my truck has no payment.

Who has the dough to plunk down 60k or more for a truck?? Where i live people buy em just to drive. Never work em. How the fuc* can you justify the payment,insurance,maintenance and fuel just for looks???

No way jack, i will take my ole gal with some battle scars,creams and groans,thank you very much!!

Well, people thought I was crazy for dropping $20K for my truck 'new' in 1988.
"just for looks" > I've been "looking" at the SAME truck for 25 years...even though she's been a great rig > I sure would like to look at something new...er ;Really
EDIT > even if I may be around long enough, don't know what I would replace it with, newer F150 maybe, but for sure never another diesel, I've had my stomach full of these fuel prices :mad:

Last edited:

Maverick1701

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are quite a few people that are fixing and driving them also.

That 45k and up sticker on the new stuff makes it easy to throw some cash at an older truck.

X2!! also the fact that I dont want to pay major bucks for a truck that is like a caddy on the inside... I want the basics and that is it.
I have no use for leather heated/cooled seats and all that extra crap they are putting these 45K sticker trucks.

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There certainly is no shortage of trucks around here. I can find them all day long. I need to STOP looking because I keep finding good ones.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still see many obs and bricknoses around here. Most are gas powered. I bet there's 30 or more in the local pic a part and that many more across town at ecology.

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There arent many in my area. If there is one for sale 90% of the time its an old construction truck or farm beater. I can think of 5 old feed wagons with ford idi's

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online