Are the rear brakes 2.5" or 3" on a sterling?

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know the rear brake shoe width, i dont wanna go pull a wheel to measure my rear brake width.. However i need to know before i can order the parts to redo them thru rock auto. I'm 99% sure they are 3" but i wanted to varify it.... THANKS

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I believe it depends if you have a semi or full float rear.

IIRC the semi is 2.5 and the full is 3"

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, it's a semi floater. I thought all sterling rears were semi floater's, i had the dam drum off the other day to check them out and didnt think to measure it. Geuss i'll have to go measure it.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yup.i think it goes as follows;
sterling full floating rear axle for our diesel trucks:
SRW = 2.5"
DRW = 3"

semi floater i dunno about.those can be found in the light duty f250's (which i know for sure,was never offered with diesels.)

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Not really true. My truck was a SRW F250 but it has full 1 ton rear brakes. Ford dealer told me it was an option.

3" SRW shoes and drums on my F250...factory. I had them run the VIN.

ALL F350 SRW truck were 3", duallies were 3.5" and the regular F250 full floaters, and light duty F250 semi floaters (I know, light duty and F250 are not good words to stick together!!!) were 2.5".

I did a LOT of digging on this when I got that info from Ford, I had to check it out myself.

IIRC if you turned a little out of the inside face of the drum, you could run 3.5" dually showes ......they would JUST work inside a 3" SRW drum for a little more bite.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes,thats right goofy.good catch.
the question should have been 3" or 3.5" shoes.
the 2.5" shoes are most likely the light duty/semi floater f250 shoes.(under 8500 gvwr.which was never offered sitting under a diesel pickup.)

correction:
sterling full floating rear axle for our diesel trucks:
SRW = 3"
DRW = 3.5"

the f350 rear end is the sterling 10.25 full floating axle.this came in all the f250HD trucks too.it wasn't really an option.it's standard with them all though.
we'll get everything worded correctly in the end.:D

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not really true. My truck was a SRW F250 but it has full 1 ton rear brakes. Ford dealer told me it was an option.

3" SRW shoes and drums on my F250...factory. I had them run the VIN.

ALL F350 SRW truck were 3", duallies were 3.5" and the regular F250 full floaters, and light duty F250 semi floaters (I know, light duty and F250 are not good words to stick together!!!) were 2.5".

I did a LOT of digging on this when I got that info from Ford, I had to check it out myself.

IIRC if you turned a little out of the inside face of the drum, you could run 3.5" dually showes ......they would JUST work inside a 3" SRW drum for a little more bite.

You guys still don't have it right from what I have seen. The above quote is correct. I have a 89 f250 full floater and it has 2 1/2" brakes. I have another 89 just like mine(was the donor for the zf) and it has 3 inch wide brakes on it. So I believe the above to be correct, 2 1/2 brakes standard on the f250 full float sterling, with 3 inch being optional. I don't have any personal knowledge of the semi-floater(which we should not even be considering since all diesels were full float correct?) or the f350 srw or duallys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online