Are the 98 6.5's any good?

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a SCREAMING deal on a 98 Chev with a 6.5 diesel, 4x4, leather, loaded, 140k miles on it. I've heard tons of horror stories about the 6.5's, but don't know if they're all as bad as everyone makes them out to be. So, feel free to school me on the 6.5, point out strengths and weaknesses, so on and so forth. I've had Ford IDIs and a couple 12v CTDs, never messed with anything that had a computer on it tho. Thanks.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
don't ever let it overheat and the pump computer needs the coolest place it can find. otherwise, it's a good motor with decent fuel economy.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
don't ever let it overheat and the pump computer needs the coolest place it can find. otherwise, it's a good motor with decent fuel economy.

I've read about relocating the pump controller.

I also understand adding a relay triggered off the oil pressure sender contacts rather than trying to drive the lift pump directly off of the oil pressure sender is a good idea.

What's the issue with overheating, and what's the cure? Do they have heads that warp easily when overheated? Does keeping one cool require anything more than a good auxiliary "pusher" fan mounted in front of the radiator?

You say the fuel economy is "decent" - what would you consider typical mileage for one in a K2500 Suburban?

FWIW, I'm looking at a 99 'burban myself, and I know that you have a pretty broad experience with both the GMs and Fords (dunno if you've dealt much with Dodges), so your opinion is one I really appreciate, towcat...