Are smoked lights legal in PA?

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
Are smoked headlights legal in PA? I'm not sure if it is called smoked or tinted but the lense is black when the lights aren't on but when the lights are on they are clear. The Amber marker light will still be there but blacked out, along with the main lense of the headlight.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
nothing is alowed to be blacked out or tinted light wise.

if u want i will get out my inspection book tommaorw and give u the into word for word...

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
iirc its all based on the lumens? brightness in the techinal state issue but most inspection stations dont have a tool to measure it so consider it illeagal because its not worth fighting it or the cops every night
also if you like the look get a spare set of lights and swap out for showing off

Dieselcrawler

Staff member
Reaction score
every inspection station is REQUIRED to have the lumens meter. they need every tool listed by PA to be a Legit inspection station. without the proper tools the licence get revoked.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok didnt no they had to have one then most i know just say yes or no on that so maybe it dont meet their lumens

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
nver got botherd with my 99 for the lights or windows, but in the small town the cop knows who I am.
when the wife a daughter were at the statioin for,girl scouts he did mention it.

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Not that dark but more like this
You must be registered for see images

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Second pic is illegal in all fifty states, federal law states that you must have a side facing amber reflector within the front most 12 inches of the vehicle. And for whomever it may concern said law goes on to state that you must have a side facing red reflector within the rear most 12 inches of a vehicle.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
I never got pinched for either of my trucks with the clean corner/marker lights, neither has my g/f...but both have amber bulbs and function properly. All passed Pa state safety inspections. But i will go on to add, that they have to have an amber reflector inside...none of ours do but nothing has ever been said. Seems as long as they blink amber its "ok". I wouldnt fail a vehicle for clear front markers and i never have as long as it was amber flashing. Now those white flashing turns ones i did.

FWIW, the first pic is simply of smoked headlight covers.

oh and
Pennsylvania prohibits under 175.66g the obstruction of a headlight by screens, bars or any device that will obscure, change the color or obstruct the beam.

:)

Last edited:

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
RJJP, so both of those trucks are illegal because neiher one has an amber light correct?

Correct, fat chance of finding a cop that knows it though... Hell if you look at the recalls for 97 F150s and light duty F250s even Ford forgot about it (early release triton body Fords did not have amber up front).

Dieselcrawler

Staff member
Reaction score
but thats a factory installed thing, nothing pa can do. same with the older jeeps. turn signals are to close together.

and dont think they dont know the side light thing. i got popped for not having the red on the sides in the rear when i first built mine.

and as for the pics u posted, the top one is pushing it. i know they are just coveres and can be removed for nighttime use, but i still cant see why someone would want to make your headlights dimmer. lol