1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apples vs oranges (turbo question)

Discussion in '6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels' started by chillman88, Nov 25, 2020.

1. chillman88

chillman88 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yeah that's most likely what I'll do. I just wanted a few more opinions as well.

That's why I tried to spell out my plans. Nothing crazy at all, mostly stock with studs, a bigger IP and the turbo (with Russ's largest wheel).

I just don't have the money to get crazy LOL

IDIBRONCO likes this.
  2. Thewespaul

Thewespaul Supporting Vendor Supporting Member

The 088 and 093 are identical on the compressor (intake) side with them both using the same size t04B compressor wheel out of the box. The difference is the hotside where the 088 uses a stage five t350 (or p trim in some cases) and the 093 uses the smaller stage three wheel, they will both move exactly the same air because the cold side is the limitation for airflow with these. The 093 will start making boost about 500 rpms sooner than the 088 because of the better designed turbine housing, and smaller turbine wheel. with enough fuel you can make an 088 spool like an 093 but for most smaller pumps and a towing application I would 100% go with the 093. With a tow rig you need takeoff torque which the 088 will not match no matter what the modifications, I've got 088 and 093 cores on the shelf ready to be built. https://classicdieseldesigns.com/collections/turbos-and-turbo-parts image0.jpeg

chillman88 likes this.
  3. Clb

Clb Another old truck Supporting Member

Perhaps...

But tractor pulling and towing mountains requires 2 different setups (imho).

Towing out here means 2500-3300 rpms the required grunt is to make the top of the hill (never at 500 rpms), not pull onto the road,
    but at the sweet spot where you still have rpm left to accelerate (in one gear) AND above the point where the eng will NOT spool the turbo at will.
    I'm gunna get rolling one way or the other.

Good bit of tech Wes.
    I may be totally off base, as my days are spent "towing" not pulling:sorry:

chillman88 likes this.
  4. Clb

Not callin ya out, (been accused some lately) just my seat of the pants exp.

5. chillman88

Yeah I really starting to think it boils down to how you drive because I'm getting two completely opposite opinions on this. Typically on the rolling hills around here I'm downshifting at the bottom of the hill so I'd already be spooling up by the time I hit the next hill. That could all change though since I've been NA this whole time. Might find I don't need to downshift for every hill once I get a turbo on it.

I've never had trouble getting moving (except for one time which was an engine problem, ironically right in front of Wes' place). I've had plenty of times where I'm just watching RPMs drop as I'm going no matter how much I downshift until I hit 2nd gear.... I REALLY don't like pulling up a hill in a 55 going 20mph.

I'm extremely grateful for Wes' insight, but it tends to make me lean towards the 088 more. Having a bigger turbine should be a benefit pulling hills around here, especially when modified with a larger compressor wheel.

6. Clb

Fwiw
    All mine were stock units
    I have seen some stuff modded by russ, (never seen justins, mels nor wes' product mods) and just wow...

chillman88 likes this.
  7. chillman88

Yeah I'm running a stock factory setup on Diego and even with 3.55s it's still a decent amount of difference compared to the NA with 4.10s. Gears definitely make a difference too, the 4.10 truck has noticably more grunt off the line. I know @saburai was running a modified 093 he bought from Russ on Diego before I bought it from him. He said there's a noticable difference just between the modified one and a stock setup too. He put the modified one on his new truck and Diego has the factory kit he pulled off his 94.

8. Thewespaul

Thewespaul Supporting Vendor Supporting Member

The 093 will simply make boost in an rpm range the 088 will not, 2000 rpms and below the 088 really isn’t adding a whole lot of air and you gotta downshift to keep your boost up, the 093 makes boost much sooner, so your torque/hp crossover is sooner typically around 2500 rpms where an 088 is peaking torque at 2500 rpms and crossing over closer to 3000 rpms.

saburai and chillman88 like this.
  9. IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO IDIBRONCO

That's HUGE on engines that only 3400/3500 RPM.

I believe that you read the above statement wrong. NO turbo makes boost at 500 RPM.

Doesn't holding the wastegate closed help with higher RPM power as well? This also confirms what I've seen in my past observations. I don't remember ever seeing a non wastegated turbo move the needle on a boost gauge below about 2100/2200 RPM. There may have been some, but I don't remember it.