anyone work on a 6.4

remington88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know this isnt for the 6.4 but has anyone ever worked on them? own one? do they have any major problems with them or are they a good engine? i have a family friend who is looking to buy a new diesel truck and he asked me my opinion. i have no dealings with the new ones so befor i tell him to get a ford i wanted to make sure its a good diesel. thanks

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
I only personally know one person with one and he loves it. He has about 40k on it and has not had a problem. He let me drive it once and I can tell you it has awesome power. Hope that helps;Sweet
Ken

remington88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sweet well i will tell my friend that. i havent heard anything bad about them just didnt know if there was anyone out there that knew of anything bad. everyone i know has a 7.3 powerstroke. i am the only one running old school n/a. and i still keep up.

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
They may just be too new for their true colors to show up yet. It is based off the 6.0 but they seem to have that all fixed rite before they went to the 6.4. you never do know sometimes. Go over to superdutydiesel.com and read up on the 6.4 section a bit.
Ken

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it were me, I would look for a late model 7.3 powerstroke or an 07 powerstroke. The 6.4 is a stop gap engine that is slated to be replaced fairly soon. If you are concerned about how easy they are to work on, I would avoid the 6.0 and 6.4 completely.

Is fuel economy a concern? The 6.4 will not match MPGs of the 6.0 or older 7.3. Tuner chips might help along with accidentally loosing the DPF but both events are technically illegal.

If you want lots of power right out of the box however, it will be a beast.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What he said^ with all the emissions control crap they are addled with the fuel economy tends to be less than desirable. You could tweak the computer and such in which case they get great economy but as david85 said that's not legal and if you got caught it could get ugly. I haven't worked on them, sounds like they might not be so much fun to mess with.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Although, even with all the issues with the 6.0L, you have to admit that it is a masterpiece of engineering architecture. Unfortunately, the rush to get it onto the market limited the testing that would have discovered most of the issues. Or so I have read. The 6.0L is the controversy that broke the relationship between IH and Ford.

The 6.4L however is the child of the severing ties between Ford and IH. As you could probably guess, Ford had a bigger hand in the construction this time and their many efforts to prove their hard work are WELL documented. Such as the loaded road test trip across the USA.

The newest addition to the diesel family, the 6.7L is truly a work that surpasses both engines in design and architecture. If you search around youtube, you will find that Ford really got their hands dirty this time around. Many brilliant innovations from what I saw. One big change for example that I noticed (engine wise) were the relocation of the exhaust manifolds to the TOP of the block, feeding directly into the dual turbocharger. Hell, even the turbocharger is an innovation...Dual compressor wheels within the same turbo cartridge. There are many more that I could fill up this page with, but I'll let you guys check it out for yourselves :)

I have to say I'm impressed with the work they have done and just maybe I'll get to drive one in the next decade...or two. Also, as far as working on the 6.0L up to current models...proceed with caution and be prepared to be on the computer often to look up information.

-Dave

1994IDI

Reaction score
I also have not had behind the wheel time in a 6.4, but know a couple guys who have don't often pass the 12 MPG mark. They were also impressed with the power. I think loads of power, and low fuel economy is the general consesus. Let us know what he decides.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Girlfriends dad just bought an '08 6.4 King Ranch and its freakin sweet. He had to have a newer truck and I warned him about the 6.0 so 6.4 it was. It has 50,000 miles and is absolutely beautiful, front and rear replacement and toolbox. Paid 35 G's for it.

We shall see how long it lasts LOL, she doesn't want to ride in my truck anymore though LOL

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They may just be too new for their true colors to show up yet. It is based off the 6.0 but they seem to have that all fixed rite before they went to the 6.4. you never do know sometimes. Go over to superdutydiesel.com and read up on the 6.4 section a bit.
Ken

If the 6.4L is based off the 6.0Leaker, then why won't the better parts off of the 6.4 swap over on to the 6.0, and vice versa?

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Remember, the 6.4 uses common rail technology instead of the HEUI system the 7.3 and 6.0 use. An intake, exhaust and programming can get you 500RWHP and up the stock 12mpg to the upper teens. The slushboxes seem to be surviving better also. A friend of mine has an "08 king ranch crew cab longbed 4x4. Its fast, quiet, and way plush. It will turn circles around my "91 . The coil front end turns tight. Its the first truck I have been in that makes my Excursion feel dated. The day I give up on my IDI I'm gonna find a 6.4, strip all of the crap off of it and put it in my "91 and I will find a high hp program that makes it as loud as a 1st gen powerstroke and gives it 4 wheel burnout kind of power. Also I have seen these motors get good fuel numbers when uncorked. I can't bring my self to the Cummins bandwagon, just not different enough. Making diesels quiet costs fuel and is a waste for me, I love that loud clatter. My IDI on a cold morning high idle warmup is music to my ears.
The new scorpian motor is Mexican made so my loyalities are with the Internationals. the 6.9/7.3 IDI, 7.3 Powerstroke, and the 6.4.

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember, the 6.4 uses common rail technology instead of the HEUI system the 7.3 and 6.0 use. An intake, exhaust and programming can get you 500RWHP and up the stock 12mpg to the upper teens. The slushboxes seem to be surviving better also. A friend of mine has an "08 king ranch crew cab longbed 4x4. Its fast, quiet, and way plush. It will turn circles around my "91 . The coil front end turns tight. Its the first truck I have been in that makes my Excursion feel dated. The day I give up on my IDI I'm gonna find a 6.4, strip all of the crap off of it and put it in my "91 and I will find a high hp program that makes it as loud as a 1st gen powerstroke and gives it 4 wheel burnout kind of power. Also I have seen these motors get good fuel numbers when uncorked. I can't bring my self to the Cummins bandwagon, just not different enough. Making diesels quiet costs fuel and is a waste for me, I love that loud clatter. My IDI on a cold morning high idle warmup is music to my ears.
The new scorpian motor is Mexican made so my loyalities are with the Internationals. the 6.9/7.3 IDI, 7.3 Powerstroke, and the 6.4.

I like your way of thinking!!!;Sweet;Sweet

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are only 2 things that I would upgrade from a 6.9 to;

another 6.9 with even more upgrades,

or some form of long range electric drive - nuclear power or somethingLOL

yeah, I'll settle on another 6.9.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
A friend of mine has a 08 6.4 w a militude of problems. I am not saying he didnt bring them on himself (truck is trashed from front to back, inside and out) but, FORD is trying to black list his VIN. It is a 08 reg cab f350 6 spd w 80k on it. He uses the truck and it shows. He was complaing about oil consumption.(6 qts per week). The dealer told him to keep an eye on it and keep driving till they had time to work on it. When the dealer had time he brought it in. (8 qts low!!:eek:) Now Ford it trying to black list his warranty. But he did exactly what the dealer told him to do. The seals went in the turbos and were drinking the oil. On top of injector problems, EGR problem, Radiator problem and a few other, i forget all the details.

Now. the dealer tore it all apart and says they are not fixing it. Sat at the dealer for over a month. He talked to another dealer and they said they would fix it. So he had it towed in pieces to this other dealer. Now they cant fix it because FORD will not honor the warranty. So my friend it out a truck now for over 3 months while all this is going on. And not looking good.

I am not saying this is the norm for a 6.4 but i figured i would share is ROTTEN experience.

O and not one performance thing is done to this truck