Anyone using new Banks, Hypermax, R&D, or home made turbo kits?

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you want my advice, buy the r&d kit hands down. light years ahead of banks and hypermax or even a used ats 093/ factory turbo kit.
way more room for servicablity in the engine bay, way easier to work around, and easy to remove for more extensive work plus top notch in performance. No questions asked go r&D

Ilovelamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How so? I'd trust banks with about anything. Also, I don't see anyone that offers a kit that covers everything so extensively
you want my advice, buy the r&d kit hands down. light years ahead of banks and hypermax or even a used ats 093/ factory turbo kit.
way more room for servicablity in the engine bay, way easier to work around, and easy to remove for more extensive work plus top notch in performance. No questions asked go r&D

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
How so? I'd trust banks with about anything. Also, I don't see anyone that offers a kit that covers everything so extensively
Banks, hypermax, ats, etc don't completely support these anymore. Sure, you can get some parts, but no upgrades have been done to the original designs, from what? Early 90's?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Ilovelamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Banks, hypermax, ats, etc don't completely support these anymore. Sure, you can get some parts, but no upgrades have been done to the original designs, from what? Early 90's?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I'm saying the kit is complete, wiring, gauges, pipes, exhaust. I haven't seen any kits at all that are anything like that

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I go the "build your own path", what tubing do you use for the hot side? Cold side? And where are you getting it. I see this Columbia River Mandrel bends site, but they don't do 2" 11 guage mild steel which is what I think I want for the hot side. That said I'm not sure what to use. I would like thicker tubing because I think it will hold up better and be easier to weld. I'll likely ceramic coat the hot side.

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone has a first gen banks turbo kit that was upgraded by typ4 for sale for $1000 in the classifieds.

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. I should check classified to see what's out there. I'm a little leery of buying a used turbo cause I don't know enough about them yet.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If it's already been modded and it doesn't have a lot of miles on it, I wouldn't be afraid to buy it. Banks still sell most of the parts for this kit. I've bought some for mine recently.

rewbrooks50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's already been modded and it doesn't have a lot of miles on it, I wouldn't be afraid to buy it. Banks still sell most of the parts for this kit. I've bought some for mine recently.

And it was upgraded by typ4.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Yes it is. When Russ mods/upgrades it, you get more boost and start building boost at lower RPM. That's what's been done to my first gen Banks. My situation is different than a lot of members'. Where I live it's very rural and generally at least 20 miles to another town. I have a ZF5 with 3.55 gears. I want the boost at lower RPM, but since I almost entirely drive highways, I don't want the added heat and restriction of a wastegated turbo. Hopefully, by this time next week, I'll be able to have an idea how it performs. I'm planning to do an install this weekend.

Robm45497

Reaction score
i did a R&D stage 3 turbo kit. Im very happy with it. Ive done conversions on small block 4 wheel drives to big blocks. Done a lot of motorcycle stuff in the past but have a small buisiness i run,my son used to do flattrack and take alot of my time and i just didnt have time to due all the fitting myself. His kits are complete and very well thought out.

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it is. When Russ mods/upgrades it, you get more boost and start building boost at lower RPM. That's what's been done to my first gen Banks. My situation is different than a lot of members'. Where I live it's very rural and generally at least 20 miles to another town. I have a ZF5 with 3.55 gears. I want the boost at lower RPM, but since I almost entirely drive highways, I don't want the added heat and restriction of a wastegated turbo. Hopefully, by this time next week, I'll be able to have an idea how it performs. I'm planning to do an install this weekend.

I have the same turbo just put back on after modification/rebuild by russ. Unfortunately I have some exhaust leak issues at the moment but I did talk to some other forum members here before pulling the trigger on the modification and I expect it to perform well.