Anyone try sourcing a quality copper radiator core?

maverick350

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently bought another project truck and ended up robbing the radiator out of it as mine started leaking on the drive home with the new acquisition.

Someone had re-cored this beast in recent history, the PO claimed it cost him 600 bucks.

It looks nice! tubes are probably an 1/8 inch farther apart, with bigger water passages.

With larger, albeit less tubes, it probably doesn't have the cooling capacity of the old unit, but the temp gauge hasn't done anything to complain at yet, and it looks beefier in comparison.

The local radiator shop simply said it's cheaper to buy a new radiator. Didn't seem like they have any interest.

I have de-soldered and re-soldered the bottom, top and side pieces to a copper radiator in the past with good results, and I'd like to attempt a core replacement on one of my junk radiators. Reason being, all the replacements I've seen seem to be lighter weight construction. I want something rugged.

I'd swing for a honeycomb if I could, but I'm not related to the Rockefellers.

So far google's first response is us radiator, further searching comes up with cancor industries. Before I go down this road, I pose the question to you all.

Has anyone found a source for cores, equal to or of heavier build than OEM? Hopefully in a price range that makes re-coring yourself practical?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone found a source for cores, equal to or of heavier build than OEM? Hopefully in a price range that makes re-coring yourself practical?

i wish.they are much lighter and they don't last.id swap something good in if it wasn't so hit and miss.iv got a slow leaker ready rad replacement (second one) and it's cheaper to just keep it topped up than continually replacing it.:D

i'm sure you can probably find something decent and custom built for several hundred.

maverick350

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was the ready-rad a core? or complete aftermarket radiator?

maverick350

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what I'm looking for, just a quality core. I'm hoping there's a better chance at getting something more industrial that way.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my rockcrawler I did a hybrid rad ' took my stocker, a factory yota unit with bigger tanks, to my local rad shop.
They ordered me a core with more cooling capacity and buttoned it up for me. 110 deg day 1 mph hor hours' no problems any more. Cost more than china but made in japan and USA!
You should call around.
Us rad sells china!
As do most of the replacements.
Good and cheap wont happen together.
One of the companies talked about here said on thier site ( made to your specs) at a price....I bet.

maverick350

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's pretty much what I'm looking for. even if it's a core designed for something industrial that will fit in the standard radiator housing, I'd consider that a win.

I expect to pay decent money, but I'd rather have that money go in to quality tubes and fins rather than recreating the tinwork, top and bottoms that are still in good shape.

I'll give it a month or so,.. If no one has had any recommendations for suppliers here I'll start making inquiries and see what I come across.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I work at a radiator shop in socal. Craig manufacturing closed the doors last year. Only have thermal solutions left. I recored an idi radiator a few weeks ago. My cost on a high efficiency 4r core was $575 from thermal solutions. Maybe check with a local radiator shop and see if they will order you a core? But don't expect a warranty unless they put it together.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a champion rad and only complaint was packaging. First rad received was damaged however they sent a replacement immediately and it has worked flawlessly so far...... Also, aluminum rad looks nicer!

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try 1800 radiator, it's where most of the parts stores get there cooling products, I have seen brands such as Reach cooling, pacific best inc (radiator). I think on 1800 radiator they offer a fully welded aluminum and full brass/copper ect.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure to get a 4r if you get it from 1800.they tend to quote you the cheapest price even if it's not up to par. Don't forget tube spacing and fin count too

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online