Anyone know how to release the ignition on an 80s ford?

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to get the ignition out off my 1988 van for a while and I can't figure out the trick.

See attached image

If anyone has a link to a YouTube video showing how to do this (preferably not filmed by a retarded epileptic or on a tripod located in the furthest zip code from the location of the ignition) I'd greatly appreciate it.

You must be registered for see images attach

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Should be a small hole from the underside. Turn key to on, then push a paper clip into the small hole. There's a pin in there.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What exactly are you wanting to repair? I'm not familiar with van's however on pickups from this era, the ignition "switch" is actually mounted on top of the column. The key only activates a mechanical rod that's connected to the switch. There's also another common failure component inside the column. It's a little goofy shaped metal do-flingy called the "actuator arm" (see pic). These often break.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
determine if you have tiltcolumn or not. look at the trun signal hole.
does it look like this?

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was the little hole on the bottom, but the stud in mine must have jammed up cuz it took a lot of force to push it in. Eventually it wiggled loose. I posted this thread because I thought maybe there was some other safety pin holding the ignition switch in place because my release pin was so jammed up.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get this: The official way to get the tumbler out if you do not have a key is to take a hammer and chisel and get behind the chrome piece that the key goes in and wack it and break it off. Then you can get up in there and push that pin. I have had to do this before on my truck, and it actually works ok.

There are actual pictures of this in the service manual.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get this: The official way to get the tumbler out if you do not have a key is to take a hammer and chisel and get behind the chrome piece that the key goes in and wack it and break it off. Then you can get up in there and push that pin. I have had to do this before on my truck, and it actually works ok.

There are actual pictures of this in the service manual.

Funny stuff. I tried to use my service manual to remove the ignition, and the word "ignition" comes up something like 790 times. So I never really got to the section that explains how to remove the tumbler.

I got the whole thing and steering column back together without problems. Also, while I had it apart, I replaced the blinker switch assembly. And I repainted the steering column. And I inspected the actuator and it looked fine so I kept it as is. After regreasing everything, I put it back together and it starts great. I wonder if I had a loose connection or something that was leading to slight cranking. Now it starts crazy fast.