Anyone in AZ do IP timing?

92 dizzel

Reaction score
Hey all,

Been working on my old horse pasture find 92 idi for a few years now. The darn thing is a rolling parts house now and my wallet is empty to prove it, but I'm nearing the finish line on the major issues. She runs ok, but does smoke despite having good solid compression and only 126k miles. New *everything* in fuel system. I also see some fuel or smoke in crank case, but no blow by coming out of it.

I think I need to get the pump properly timed and go from there. Maybe the new (rebuilt) IP came adjusted too high on fuel? She is very sluggish but I am quite certain I have the pump retarded too far out of a concern for safety.

What do y'all think? I was going to sell this **** but I'm too deep into it now, and almost to having a good truck! I need a 4x4 but there's no way I can afford another diesel with what people think they are worth these days...

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1st - Where did you purchase the new parts
2nd - Turn the pump 1/16" towards the passenger side (engine off) & see if it does better. Does not take much to get it close.

Detroit80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending on where you're at in Arizona...I'm near Wickenburg, and have have a diesel timing adapter for checking pump timing.

92 dizzel

Reaction score
Depending on where you're at in Arizona...I'm near Wickenburg, and have have a diesel timing adapter for checking pump timing.

That's a little far for me but may be my only option so far... thanks for the offer! I just don't know exactly what it should sound like to

92 dizzel

Reaction score
oops I didn't finish the sentence.... i don't know exactly what it should sound like when it's right.

I'll check to see when I can get to wickenburg

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a little far for me but may be my only option so far... thanks for the offer! I just don't know exactly what it should sound like to

When you get it to where the engine 'bump' starts, you are very close. You will also notice the difference in 'seat' power