anyone have a luminosity probe i can. .

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have/borrow?

i want to do some tests on timing with different fuels. i can switch between three fuels in a sitting and in a couple of cycles i want to see what the timing does when alter fuels are used as compared to ULSD. This will also be the last step in testing (i.e. not using the line clamp) my meter before sending it off to be repaired.

If someone has a spare probe i would appreciate it. let me know your terms lol

Thanks,
Rick

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's a tall order you're looking for.
Snap-on no longer sells the Lumy probe and when they did, it was at $200.
ford/rotunda units are not compatible either.

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's a tall order you're looking for.
Snap-on no longer sells the Lumy probe and when they did, it was at $200.
ford/rotunda units are not compatible either.

i know, but so many people seem to want to avoid using the lumy probe. i realise someone might want to hold a deposit. or try trading for my piezo/clamp and see if it works for them with and "givesies backsies" clause lol It's just something to try.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have what you need/want but.... I only have one and its priceless like Calvin states so... Are you needing it for the snapon meter like I am thinking.....:dunno I really don't know what a fair charge for it would be if it broke while you are using it or in transit to or from you.... Maybe insureance could take care of the shipping issues.....:dunno

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We all like you, but I wouldn't put my lumy probe in danger for anyone. If I am ever in yur area, or you are ever here though, I would be more than happy to let you use it, or do it for you. No charge in either case. I trust OB brothers to respect these things but not transit between here and there. Insurance is great but these things were never plentiful and becoming harder to find. Insurance doesn't help, nor do offers to pay if you can't find a replacement.

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmmmm wasn't aware people loved their lumy probes so much lol. Most people seem desperate to get the piezo box and use the pulse method. If i knew for sure my piezo box was in working order i would offer it up in straight trade for a lumy probe, but without knowing i can't in good conscience do that.

I don't wanna put anyone out to much or take a chance on getting a bad rep here. Frankly, I need you guys so maybe I will just keep looking on ebay and hoping. I just cleaned up my MT1480 and I'll give it one more shot before I send it off to be tested.

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i just picked up a mt480 with a mt160 and mt161 for $75 on ebay so hopefully everything comes in working order and now in addition to the probe to test my mt1480 i have a backup meter in the mt480. go me.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good deal bud. Sorry we made you buy the extra tools but either of those lumy probes works on the 6.9/7.3. Threads the same and plugs into the snapon the same way. Here's one more way to use a luminosity adapter on these things. One guy on ebay was selling a bunch of Fox Valley lumy adapters last year. The first ones went really cheap but by the end he knew what he had and was charging accordingly. Unfortunately they won't directly plug into a snapon optical pickup. What I think would work is if someone had a gasser inductive spark pickup for a 480/1480 they could then use this setup. I wonder if the Fox Valley Adapter will directly plug into a rotunda luminosity meter since I know they're different from the snap on. I really wish there was a source of replacement lumy probes. I really hate being selfish about my tools but I feel wisdom insists I don't put a lumy probe up for grabs in the mail, no matter how much I trust all of you guys since stuff does happen in shipping all the time. Please don't take this personally WrickM the answer would have been the same to anyone else! It has been, regrettably.

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hell, man i would do the same. i was simply unaware how valuable people feel these lumy probes are! Everyone has talked a lot about pulse timing and when i really thought about it, i just don't think pulse meets my needs anyway so i pursued a lumy. I think getting two probes and a analog meter for $75 is a great deal, and if i need to i can always sell the stuff on here to recoup the cash.

no hard feelings towards anyone over protecting their tools. we're men after all lol

gatorman21218

Reaction score
What can Big Green do for you? Well i'm no UPS but I live in Ashland and go to school in Gainsville. I may or may not be making the trip any time soon (i'm home now) but i will be going back in late august. Just throwing that out there.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey WrickMtwo lumy probes and a 480 for 75..... one hec of a deal even if some stuff doesn't work. The trick to keeping those lumy probes woring is
1) Never use a luminosity probe on a cold engine, since they run dirtier cold
2) Never ever drop them
3) Clean after every use with a soft toothpick or something similar the optical lens opening on the probe. Never use a cleaner on it.
Jim I would totally trust you with my tools, both to use and to transport. I'll keep it in mind if we need to move something. You and WrickM should get together and time both trucks. Me and Gonecrayzi and 77F250Diesel are still talking about it, and we also talked about meeting up with Smolkin a little further up northwest in the state. WrickM keep us posted on your results. Remember, most problems are from a bad luminosity probe or bad pulse adapter. The second most common is probably a bad magnetic pickup. These meters need two inputs to time the truck, that can be a pulse adapter and a luminosity probe, two luminosity probes, a pulse or lumy and your magnetic pick up. You can use any cylinder with the MT1480 but you must dial in the correct offset to the meter, that's -20* for #1 or 4 and the magnetic probe at the correct port(20*ATDC) I couldn't get a reading through the 20*ATDC port so I used the one at 0*ATDC, since I couldn't type in 0 or -360 for the offste I just typed in -359.5 and realized that meant my timing would be off by .5 a degree too far advanced so I adjusted my timing for that. On Gonecrayzi's truck I confirmed that this was an adjustment that yields identical results to using the "correct 20*ATDC port" provided you take into account the .5 degree error you created by not being able to truly zero out the meter. If it's not easy to use something isn't right. The hardest part should be adjusting the pump timing which is a real PITA.

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good stuff JD thanks. I should have a full weekend of testing and experimenting :D Oh how i do love to tinker.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Hey WrickMtwo lumy probes and a 480 for 75..... one hec of a deal even if some stuff doesn't work. The trick to keeping those lumy probes woring is
1) Never use a luminosity probe on a cold engine, since they run dirtier cold
2) Never ever drop them
3) Clean after every use with a soft toothpick or something similar the optical lens opening on the probe. Never use a cleaner on it.
Jim I would totally trust you with my tools, both to use and to transport. I'll keep it in mind if we need to move something. You and WrickM should get together and time both trucks. Me and Gonecrayzi and 77F250Diesel are still talking about it, and we also talked about meeting up with Smolkin a little further up northwest in the state. WrickM keep us posted on your results. Remember, most problems are from a bad luminosity probe or bad pulse adapter. The second most common is probably a bad magnetic pickup. These meters need two inputs to time the truck, that can be a pulse adapter and a luminosity probe, two luminosity probes, a pulse or lumy and your magnetic pick up. You can use any cylinder with the MT1480 but you must dial in the correct offset to the meter, that's -20* for #1 or 4 and the magnetic probe at the correct port(20*ATDC) I couldn't get a reading through the 20*ATDC port so I used the one at 0*ATDC, since I couldn't type in 0 or -360 for the offste I just typed in -359.5 and realized that meant my timing would be off by .5 a degree too far advanced so I adjusted my timing for that. On Gonecrayzi's truck I confirmed that this was an adjustment that yields identical results to using the "correct 20*ATDC port" provided you take into account the .5 degree error you created by not being able to truly zero out the meter. If it's not easy to use something isn't right. The hardest part should be adjusting the pump timing which is a real PITA.

JD wait a second dont let me use your timing equipment without a crash course because the chinese characters on the backs of fortune cookies makes more sense to me than the timing stuff you said above.:dunno

That being said I would like to get my truck timed at some point. either by rick or jd or maybe both so we can compare tools? that sounds like a win win situation;Sweet

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gatorbait, I'll let you know when i have the probes. I am going to be doing some test and such this weekends (assuming it comes in and works) and i'd be happy to have you come by and get timed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online