Anyone have a Gear Vendors on a 93 or newer??

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GV Wiring

Does anyone know...
The 2 terminals on the solonoid, is it power to one side engauges and power to the other disengauges or ????
I need some direction.
I hooked it up with the wiring and the box but dosent work.
Does the switch reverse polairty?
Please Help!!!!
Thanks
John

SKimballC

Reaction score
John-
The schematic shows wires from box banded with a White band to solenoid. Solenoid has no polarity.
I'm sure you saw the labels for the wires on the control box. I'd make sure that evrything's correct. Remember what I told you earlier from the manual, "The unit activates once ground is supplied, so +12v should always be present at the solenoid when ignition is turned on." I wonder how you can fool the box without a speed signal to switch the ground. You could cheat and run fused 12v from an accessory source to the solenoid and ground through the switch but then you are defeating the fancy pants box with its 4x4 lockout and, uh, speed signal controlled power. Maybe you could try that just to see if you could get it to come on at all. If you need to know anything from the schematics post back or send me a PM and I'll give you my #.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reason that is, is in the nature of semiconductors. They frequently have a greater power to sink, then to source. If your going to run the solenoid manually, you only need to attach one lead to ground, and supply an on/off 12 volt feed to the solenoid. Remember, the GV has an internal hydraulic pump, which supplies hydraulic presure to hold the OD clutch. If the presure gets too low (I.E. you slow down too much), the clutch will start to slip, and it is not the kind of clutch that was designed to slip. If your going manual, I'd say 17 MPH would be the slowest I would go with the solenoid turned on.

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
John,

The switch that is on the floor on the automatic version is the switch that turns the system on. On the schematic I have the two wires that go from the foot switch to the box go to the black connector and turn the box on with the switch closed. With the switch closed - 12v to the red terminal on the one end and ground to the black terminal on the other end of the box one of the button lights should be lit. The solenoid wires go to the white terminal and there is no polarity. The speedometer sender wires go to the yellow connector - no polarity. If you have a 4wd switch it goes to the blue connector but is not needed for the system to work. Hope that helps.

Jim

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks You All

Im up and running.
I havent had I on the highway yot byt I will tomarrow.
Locally it seems to work.
I hooked it up Direct, No box. {THANKS Mel}
Was talking to a local parts store and they han an Amsol oil catalog.
In the catalog they have the GM # for the oil crossing over to there Sever Gear oil 75w140 I think it was . The price was around $14.00 a quart. Any Input???
Thanks
John

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
if its of any advice, the warning on the side of the dodge transmission that requires that expensive ass oil say failure to do so will void warranty, so they seem to be extremely particular.
there is a castrol product that meets the specs.
is 20.00 in oil worth a ruined 2500+ unit????
Nick

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your right

if its of any advice, the warning on the side of the dodge transmission that requires that expensive ass oil say failure to do so will void warranty, so they seem to be extremely particular.
there is a castrol product that meets the specs.
is 20.00 in oil worth a ruined 2500+ unit????
Nick

You are right about that.
I bought the GM oil.
I just thought it was interesting.
I would assume that if It wasnt compatable They wouldnt stick there neck out and put in there catalog Replaces GM #*******.
I heard somewere that there anly a few Co. that actually make oil and others put there name on it Just like the oil filters.
John

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are the correct part numbers and oil change intervals for each.

Gear Vendors
Mopar 04874459 Synthetic Change at 15K

GM 12346190 Synthetic Change at 15K

GM 1052271 Mineral Change at 10K.