Anybody put a roots or screw blower on an IDI

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Has anyone successfully put a small roots or screw compressor on a 6.9/7.3?
Saw a kit for the 6.5 Hummer and marine app GMs; just curious.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I don't know of any but it has been discussed several times. It would be very neat to see. I think what kills the idea is the fact that a person would have to make a completely custom set of injection lines and intake that would set the blower over the IP. I think an 8-71 would be a bit difficult to use 6-71 would be easier, or even one of the low profile Weiand units.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
NOt sure whos truck this is but i believe it was on ebay at one time, anyway dave s. over on fte saved the pictures

Attachments

• 164755_520.jpg
    164755_520.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 228
  • 164756_520.jpg
    164756_520.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 228
  • idi.jpg
    idi.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 227

djl9172

Reaction score
Sheez that's wild!! I might have to give it a shot. There's someone on CL up here with a 6-71 off of a Detroit and he only wants $450 for it! Looks like its in good shape. Now if I can talk the boss into another project!!

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it does look cool, but I just don't see the point. A good turbo setup will compliment a diesel better than a belt driven blower. At least with a turbocharger, you have some hope of improving mileage and power because power is taken from the normally wasted exhaust flow. A blower takes power right off the crank which seems counter intuitive to me.

A good turbo would probably flow more anyway once it spools up. Also remember, you need intercooling and a bigger injector pump flow rate than the stock pump can deliver once you go much further than 10 PSI.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That truck had a BDS blower on it and the truck was in the Fresno Ca area. I live about 4 miles from BDS so I took the pictures of that motor to them. They told me they didn't have anything to do with the buildup. I asked about the intake manifold. They could build me one but... A one off was going to cost between $18,000.00 to $20,000.00....:eek: The price would come down if they got more orders but geez... I found out that setup didn't do anything more than what a turbo does for our motors. Please remember the hp loss because the blower needs power to drive it is around 10%. So if you have a top fuel motor making 8000 hp you loose 800 hp right off the top... Thats about the hp of 9 non turbo idi motors.....:rotflmao:sly Yes... The blower drive setup looks great but will it push the truck down the road any better... I'm not thinking it will... Sorry to burst someones bubble....

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
NOt sure whos truck this is but i believe it was on ebay at one time, anyway dave s. over on fte saved the pictures

Woah. Didn't expect that! A 6-71 on an IDI; now that's something else. Man, thanx for the pics.
I was thinking more along the lines of a Eaton mini blower like the ones they use on the Mustang Cobra and keep it under the hood. Doesn't take as much power to spin and it has a bypass. I figured since these things make boost from idle it would be good for a truck application. Plus they sound good.
As far as power loss, the modern stuff doesn't pull as much as the old school blowers, and even turbos take power in the form of backpressure to make power.

Dyoung14 get's the award for "Oddest Forced Induction Find For an IDI";Sweet

Ya did good:thumbsup:

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
when i started my scout build i bought a 6-71 off a detroit, but weas told there was no way to make it work. instead i'm going to try a twin turbo setup! ;Sweet

BTW i have the 6-71 still, anyone wanna give it a shot? first $400 takes it!

-Jon

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see no reason why a supercharger would not work great on an IDI. If you get it all set up right you can make boost off idle to help get those pulls started and still make boost up top. Also with a supercharger i dont think the truck would smoke much if at all. Think about it, if you are always pushing 8 PSI at a certain rpm, you would have to move a lot of fuel to make it smoke. Also with more air in the motor it would run very lean and that would keep the EGTs low i would think. People put SC 6.5Ls in boats all the time, why is this any different?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
It takes a lot of horsepower to turn that blower....horsepower that wouldnt be lost (or most of it at least) with a turbo. They look cool, but I dont think it would be all that good.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
guys-
don't get too worked up.
it's only gingerbreading.
here's one of the pics, more later when I get home

Attachments

• hotair.JPG
    hotair.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 27

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Let's have a compromise for the turbo only guys, so we can all hang together.

And I don't think it has been done on an IDI yet, but could be wrong.

Small Roots or screw compressor for that fat bottom end torque,

Remote mount turbo compounding the supercharger for the top end..............

Now to find a way to weld the heads to the block so they don't blow off!

Last edited:

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
what about run a super charger and a turbo charger with the turbo blowing down the super charger, what would that do?