anybody not using lube in the fuel?

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I normally use an ounce of 2 stroke oil per gallon. Occasionally I'll put in some power service as it says that its a lube also.

Wondering if I'm really helping the pump live longer.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya your doing good!!! To each there own I would put a quart of ATF or two stroke per fill up but that's me.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried atf and my mpg went way down. I don't think atf is designed to burn clean like a 2stroke oil is.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Any oil is better than no oil. Ever wonder why the oil filter has a bypass valve in the header. Thats there because dirty oil to the engine is better than no oil to the engine. I can't prove it but someone told me once that when we start up our engine when its cold.. Never said how cold but we go into the bypass because the oil is too thick. The added cold pressure forces open the valve we see when the filter comes off. Really not sure about that but its just something to think about. Burning any oil in the fuel will help the pump live a better life. Now too much oil will cause the pump to open up the clearances too. If we have a heat soak problem adding a quart or two per tank thickens the diesel enough so you get a few more miles out of a worn out pump. But its just a bank aid.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I add biodiesel to mine; I try to run about 5% in winter, 10% in summer. I could run a much higher percentage but I try to stretch my supply out.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
I add a quart of 2 stroke oil at each fill.

There was a link last year to research done on lubricity for the diesel engines and additives (I will try to find it again). Biodiesel was by far the best additive. 2 stroke oil was good, I use it because it is very easy to get at Wally world, bio not so much.

Some additives specifically made for diesel applications are actually worse (high friction coefficient = wears out IP sooner) than running straight ULSD, so use them with another source of lubrication.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya in that lube study they were using 2 stroke oil at something like 200:1. I'm running 128:1. I don't feel that I need any more oil. Are you running a qt to your 20+ - gallon tank! Thats a lot of oil IMO and may show up as smoke in your exhaust.

I was mainly wondering who is not using anything other than regular Diesel fuel.

I talked to the owner of our local fuel trucking company and he said that our Calif fuel is supposed to be 5% bio and that I don't need any extra lube. I'll believe it when I see it.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i don't use anything.maybe once in a while,i may again,but generally i stopped doing it due to cost.fuel is too much already.last thing i need to do is spend another gallons worth per fill up on lube.
i figure if modern diesels can run on the stuff,then the old db2's shouldn't be so sensitive.
i track economy with every fill up,but i couldn't track the cetane boosters etc due to always taking a different route,different amounts of weight and tow all the time.never a constant enough test to ever know,so i skip buying the $tuff.

rattleonby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMHO I think the new low sulfer diesel is junk especially what theyre charging for it. They designed the newer diesel fuel for the newer junk emissions bs they put on these trucks nowadays...egr, dpf's, scr's...etc. Your doing the right thing by running a lubricity additive as to im not convinced newer diesel fuel lubricates like the older fuel used to. In the spring and summer i can run usually between 50-80% wvo(used cooking) or wto(used trans fluid) to 20% diesel fuel or home heating oil...which is basically undyed off road diesel and is 50-60 cents cheaper than low sulfer diesel. I dont have to switch my tanks over for start up either by running a mixture versus 100% wvo or wto. A semi costly drawback is your fuel filters only have a life of about 2000 to 5000 miles....but i look at that versus the 40-50$ i save every time at the pump, sometimes more.

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Brother is a fuel/oil Truck Driver. He delivers Bulk oil to Truck shops and dealerships and they empty there tanks and barrels into (splash barrels) marked with the drivers name for personal use. Some drivers will dump into my brothers barrel for him when they have good clean new oil. He takes it home 30 to 50 gallons at a time. its a mix of 0/20 oil ATF and 5/30 anything other than that he puts into 5 gallon buckets marked by weight. He has been mixing this oil with diesel at 50/50 plus 5% Regular unleaded gas> He has been burning this in his IDI van for months now with no problems. Nothing like free oil to cut the cost of fuel. Also he buys diesel at cost through his employer and delivers it to his own house to a fuel oil tank he got for free... He has the Hook up....I just got 15 quarts of 5-30 mobile one oil and 8 quarts of 15-40 conventional for free from him yesterday sweet...

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
OK folks This has been hashed and re hashed. Sulfur is NOT a lubricant! period! end of discussion!
Sulfur effects the burn rate of the fuel ( and in turn the higher rate of sulfur in the older fuel contributes to all kinds of nasty polution problems like acid rain etc ) but lubrication is not part of sulfur.
Now With rotory pumps such as the stanadyne pumps we have and Bosch Ve pumps that have no oil lubrication and are lubed by the fuel passing through them, fuel lubricity additives have ALWAYS been an issue, even before teh fuel change, especially with low volume pumps such as found on cars and puckups becuas they dont pass the amount of return fuel that the same pump would normally pass on a larger engine through the return system to keep it cooled and lubricated, This is why all those pickup group fuel additive test chats you see floating around teh net are completely FLAWED,. They alway favour a homebrew of 2 stroke oil etc, but forget to take into account that the blend for pickups and cars on additives are supposed to be mixed at a ratio of 3x that of what is generally on the container as that ratio was fixed for big trucks with a high flow fuel system and is completely inadequate for smaller engines/applications.

There USED to be a LOT of truckstops where you could purchase premium diesel fuels year round that were pre treated with extra lubricity additives and cleaners WAY back when we still had a large number of us who were owner operators ( OK I'm going back around 30+ years here, will someone please jumpstart my dinasaur LOL but you just dont see that anymore because big companies won't foot the bill to take care of their equipment like that at .03 more a gal... I think it cost all of $65 a gal then :rotflmao ( sounds about right, I used to fill 300 gal on my '72 Kenworth for under $200 Nowdays you don't even want to know what it cost to fill the 150 gal bed tank on my CC :eek:

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK folks This has been hashed and re hashed. Sulfur is NOT a lubricant! period! end of discussion!
Sulfur effects the burn rate of the fuel ( and in turn the higher rate of sulfur in the older fuel contributes to all kinds of nasty polution problems like acid rain etc ) but lubrication is not part of sulfur.
:

Sulfur is not a lubricant, but the refining process that takes it out also takes out some of the natural lubricants that are present in the fuel. This has been dicussed many times over the net, and even comes straight form Exxons mouth. Fuel distributors are supposed to add lubricity additives to their fuel to compensate, but how is one supposed to know if they really are???

I personally deal with 2 local fuel distributors, and both add Schaeffers diesel treat to every tanker that comes through. Since doing so, they went from 10 complaints a month to zero in over 2 years now. They were both VERY MUCH aware of the problems caused from the new formulated fuel. I also personally know the owner of a local heavy equipment repair facility and her could tell you all day long about fuel related component failure as a result of the switchover.

If you dont know where your fuel is coming from, I HIGHLY SUGGEST you be treating it with something. Luckily, the local cenex coop to me treats his fuel with Schaeffers, and even gives me a gallon jug of it once a year so I dont have to worry about it. Cant beat the service, and I gladly pay an extra 10 cents a gallon to get it.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TCW3 sure does quiet my injectors...almost like there's a baby blanket over the engine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828