Can I use Fuel Oil in a 6.9?

87F-250HD

Reaction score
I have changed my home heating from fuel oil to a heat pump, but I have about 250 gallons of fuel oil left in my tank. Could I use this leftover fuel oil in my 6.9?

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Yes you can run it. Fuel oil is just dyed diesel fuel. Just understand that the reason it is dyed is because it has no road tax on it. This is why DOT dips tanks on diesels looking for people running red fuel. If your in an are where they hang around a lot I'd say don't risk it but if not run it and just be careful. Also don't broadcast what your doing.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no difference between fuel oil you put in your furnace, and the diesel you buy at the fueling station, except the red dye and the tax. I actually buy off-road diesel and pour it into my heating oil tank for my house.

FrozenMerc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As others have said, fuel oil will run fine in a 6.9, but the dye is long lasting. If you run a tank full, there is enough residual dye to tint the next few tank fulls of on-road diesel you run, so beware of enforcement.

Last edited:

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Combustion deposits also retain traces of the red dye. It's very long lasting. Depending on location a person could run a pickup for years without getting dipped. Currently here where I live in the northeast heating oil occasionally costs the same as diesel fuel even though there's 50 cents per gallon taxes on the diesel and no tax on heating oil. Both, here in Maine I believe are ultra low sulfur.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just as a safety net maybe carry a couple used ATF jugs and Marvel Mystery oil and if they give you trouble just say you dumped a bunch of old ATF and MMO to help lube your injection pump...
This is my type of thinking, I didn't want to say it first. But dumb some ATF in there so you ain't lying, it'll uhhhh.......help your IP....... that's it.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I've read, if they dip it they'll know it's not ATF. Something about the specific chemical makeup of the dye, not just the color.

I don't know if it's true or not, but it's worth knowing so they don't "catch you lying".

That being said... I've been driving for almost 15 years commercially and have never had my tanks dipped or even looked at....

Except for one specific time. The DEA pulled me over in either Illinois or Indiana, I don't remember which one it was. I was driving Tank home from Texas, hardly any sleep and an upset stomach due to Sonic. My temporary tag had folded itself over and I had apparently pulled into a rest stop just as they pulled up behind me. Drank some pepto bismol and left again so they said it was suspicious that I pulled in and never got out of the car (completely understandable). So here I'm sitting on the side of the road talking with them while the one officer searches my truck. I've got nothing to hide and ZERO desire to give them an excuse to be difficult.... Didn't find anything in the cab so he put a borescope in the tanks to look for hidden drugs there. He let me watch which was pretty cool actually.

I was EXTREMELY glad there was nothing to be found. That would have been a REAL mess!

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, as a collective, the police are NOT trying to get you. If you're doing something suspicious then YES they will check you out, but is there anything suspicious about an 87 F250? If your state is like all the rest you can be smoking a joint and drinking a beer wearing women's clothing and not be suspicious.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, as a collective, the police are NOT trying to get you. If you're doing something suspicious then YES they will check you out, but is there anything suspicious about an 87 F250? If your state is like all the rest you can be smoking a joint and drinking a beer wearing women's clothing and not be suspicious.

Speaking of Florida Man...... LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online