Anybody ever run an auto meter tach?

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anybody ever used the auto meter diesel tach kit that mounts to the alternator? I’d like to get it because they should basically work with any 12 volt tach so I could do some nice gauges. Wondering if they were any good and/or if they give a solid reading.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I stay away from the alternator sensors...
don't ask me why, I just don't like it.

mine runs off tach sensor

You must be registered for see images attach

Christian9112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I stay away from the alternator sensors...
don't ask me why, I just don't like it.
Thats a nice cluster gauge! van bodies doesnt have a pickup on the IP gear housing. it would be nice to know if the engine is gonna pop a valve spring. I think the alternator mount is a good solution. it doesnt look as neat with the hose clamps but it does the job.

Christian9112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you think it’d be able to work with a non-auto meter tach?

They are made to be adjusted. i dont think any normal tach will work. gas tach counts the sparks every 4 strokes. alternator picks up 3 phase electromagnetic pulses.

gfemling

Reaction score
I installed the Autometer 2 5/8” 5k diesel tac that senses off alternator in ‘15 and has worked well until recently when became intermittent. Contacted Autometer and they have it now checking whether problem is with tac or sensor. But what I discovered is there are 2 basic options from Autometer for diesel tacs. If you search for “diesel tachometer” on their site, should get 5 hits- one of which is the alternator sensor replacement BUT appears that only works with their diesel specific tac. If you search further they also make a tac sensor that has alternator sensor and converter box- think about $120. From description appears this set should allow using their regular (non-diesel) tac on diesel or any other non-distributor engine. Probably wouldn’t drive standard Ford in-dash tac but opens up options for other tac units- even non-Autometer units probably. But don’t expect the alternator sensor (about $40) to work with tax’s other than Autometer’s diesel units; appears these have internal circuits to read/convert the alternator sensor signal.