Any Stock Radio Experts In Here?

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
Do any of you guys work on our stock radios and go through them at all?

Or possibly have an original I can buy that still works? The original one in my 90 has finally stopped working, it shows up green and such but no longer displays the digits or puts out good sound, just background noise.

NOTE: I know this will happen if I don't mention it but I am not in any way looking to upgrade to an aftermarket one, I want to keep the stock style so please keep those posts out of the thread. Thank you

You must be registered for see images attach

Also does anyone know what other stock radios I can use for mine? I assume only 87-91 radio will work but I don't know if the slant nose radios are the same plus I also know that mine could have had a couple other styles for the upgraded trim packages such as one with a tape player and such. Mine just has the 2 plug ins in the back so I don't know if that changes anything.

Thanks guys

KZF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not seeing anything on Ebay right now.

I swapped out the AM radio in a '69 F250 with a AM/FM Stereo from a '73ish Grand Torino (.50 at a garage sale) that looked similar and was about the same size and footprint.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I retro-fitted a later model stock radio in my 86 ranger. Fits well, but I did have to custom do the wiring. I didn't have the factory plug for the later radio, so I just soldered short pigtails to the prongs on the radio, and cut my ranger plug out and direct wired it.

With that style radio you have, I don't think I have personally ever seen one that the display actually worked. I think there is a bulb down inside it you can replace for that, but not sure. My ranger had the upgraded radio like yours with the tape player. I worked on it a little bit and it played, but the volume controls were always scratchy, even though I cleaned them several times. The newer Ford radio I got from Goodwill has the touch volume control, no round buttons on it.

oztinker47

Reaction score
Check the local car stereo shop, they usually have a stack of stock car stereos and no use for them

Sent from my LG-VS410PP using Tapatalk 2

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
Newer car radios will come with built-in CD players, but those have the disadvantage of not being able to be fed music externally (not easy at least) - with the cassette tape radios you just get an adapter "tape" that has a cable with a standard headphone jack on the other end that you can plug into whatever device you choose as a mp3 player.

The '05 Chevy I have to drive for work has a factory AM/FM/CD without tape, and I'm not putting my money into their truck...but I still need music, and radio blows goats here. A lot of gas stations sell MP3-to-FM transmitters that plug into your CIG lighter, got a $20 Transit brand one, been working great with a USB drive. They sell them at the Circle Ks here. Has a remote too.

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Z,
If you want mine from my 91 F250, you can have it for shipping. Everything except the display backlighting works. The backlighting is really dim, maybe only 5-10% of what 'illuminated' would look like, and I wanted to swap it out with a new unit anyway. I can get you some pictures Friday or Saturday when I get home if you're interested. I'm pretty sure mine has the cassette player in it.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when mine died i went to picapart and got another.it worked but had no display.i took it back and got another.

it had a burned out bulb so i took the bulb out of mine and put it in the new one. theres directions on this site pn how to change the bulb.

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
Z,
If you want mine from my 91 F250, you can have it for shipping. Everything except the display backlighting works. The backlighting is really dim, maybe only 5-10% of what 'illuminated' would look like, and I wanted to swap it out with a new unit anyway. I can get you some pictures Friday or Saturday when I get home if you're interested. I'm pretty sure mine has the cassette player in it.

Sounds good man. Drop me a PM with the pictures or my email [email protected]. I appreciate it man

when mine died i went to picapart and got another.it worked but had no display.i took it back and got another.

it had a burned out bulb so i took the bulb out of mine and put it in the new one. theres directions on this site pn how to change the bulb.

Yeah i actually took mine apart to the bulb section. My bulb isnt the problem, my green backlight works fine, its the actual electronic film that shows the black numbers across the screen. I guess the internal computer or whatever you call it that the film connects to finally went bad or burnt out.

The harness on the back looks the same as my 93 if that helps.

Thanks man. That is suprising, I could have swore the stock radio for the obs style dash was different but it has been a few years since I have seen one still stock. If so that would make the search even easier.

motoxraceman2345

Reaction score
Don't hold me to it though. I know the plugs look the same, but if i recall the older ones mounted a bit different. I will look at my factory radio (beyond repair) in a bit. I will try to snap a pic of my 93 radio when i get home.

motoxraceman2345

Reaction score
So i just looked at my factory tape deck. The plug appears to be the same, but they way the radio is secured differently. I suppose you could make a newer one work. Your radio has ear style mount mine has clip style (4 holes in front). Hope that helps

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
gotta have tunes!
technology is awesome! now that i have one of these fancy phones, i have loaded over 1200 songs on it.
i keep the stock stereo in all my rigs.
but.. i install my own systems.
my 87 has a EQ mounted under the seat, with my phone hooked up to it. 2 800 watt amps running to kicker highs and mids installed in the doors.
mids in stock door speaker location, and 2" highs cut into the doors right next to them.
a special made sub box behind the back seat allows for adults to still sit comfortably.
sub boxes house 2 10" subs pointed t the floor with 4 way 6 x 9's in the top.
you can hear every note clearly that rodger waters produced.
dont get me wrong my 7.3T is sweet music too, at bond fires and beaches you gotta have more!

gandalf

Reaction score
Okay, I broke down and took some pictures of the radio which came out of my '86 truck. I've got to assume that it's a stock radio, and I really don't remember why I replaced it. Maybe I just wanted something new.

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
Okay, I broke down and took some pictures of the radio which came out of my '86 truck. I've got to assume that it's a stock radio, and I really don't remember why I replaced it. Maybe I just wanted something new.

I appreciate it. It looks like nothing is the same between mine and the 86, even the plugs. I guess it could probably be made to work though in a pinch.