Any reason why I shouldn't....

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy an intercooler for a PSD either 6L or 7.3 and try to plumb it in before I get my ATS non gated turbo in? Or am I biting off more than I can chew? It seems like some of you guys have done this...how hard is this and are you happy with the result? Thanks,
J.D.

SKimballC

Reaction score
JD, considering how we chatted some about the turbo install, I would suggest just getting the turbo installation out of the way first. The plumbing and fab associated with the IC is going to be involved enough, better make it a separate project. Work with what you got for now. Fine tune it, then progress if you then feel the need.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I really don't know what I'm doing even with the turbo...I just don't want to have the turbo and then have problems with out of control EGTs. Really rather not break it. I may wind up doing it that way man... cause even the turbo by itself ought to be a big improvement over N/A and I'm not really that good at fabrication...thanks again

SKimballC

Reaction score
Yeah, unless you plan on using your truck to pull some pretty heavy loads, the turbo itself is going to be a blast and you won't necessarily NEED the IC.. With those non-gated turbos, they may be a bit slower to spool up than those that are wastegated, but hell, they are a HUGE improvement over NA, and you will wear a sh#!eating grin.
The only way you'll have out of control EGT's with a non-gated turbo is if you are pulling heavy or have too much fuel for your needs. The coal you can roll in the low rpm's is astounding. You'll be fine once you get it installed and dial in the fuel, especially if you're just running around with low or empty loads.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that's going to be the case for me most of the time. I haul firewood in the winter by the bed full and tow about a 3000lb boat pretty frequently, but most of the time I'm empty or light. Thanks for the input.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will watch this thread because I just bought a "gently used" ATS non wastegated turbo setup, complete... even came with the factory ATS install sheet and parts list.. Anyone know who supplies new O rings for the ATS? I would like to seal it all up nice and clean on install.

There is a port for Piro mount post turbo and a port for boost post compressor... where can I get a decent piro thermocouple / gage setup? and any advise on hooking up boost gage and where to get one?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can get your gauges from any ISSPro dealer, like DPS-Performance. I'd agree that you should hold off on the intercooler, simply because when you install your turbo, if you have any problems with it making boost, it will be easier to troubleshoot.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay... all good advice, and I suppose I will do it that way. I'll start off with
1) Stock pump and new "BB" Lucas/Delphi injectors, pump turned up mildly
2) ATS 088 non gated turbo and 3 or 4" exhaust
3) Hypermax Cowl induction snorkel
Now for Gmann's question...I got one of the last seal kits available for the ATS non gated turbos from Central Motive Power in New Mexico. ATS does not stock them anymore from what I hear. Check around with some ATS dealers and you might get lucky. Otherwise if you have the old Orings you can go to caterpillar or a good hardware store and match them up. Even if you don't...I have the seal kit and I would be glad to look at each one and describe the dimensions as best as I can.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just remembered I had another question...do you all think a 4" pipe with no muffler with this turbo setup will be unbearably loud? Thanks so much.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just remembered I had another question...do you all think a 4" pipe with no muffler with this turbo setup will be unbearably loud? Thanks so much.
the only known problem is the "**** eatin' grin" issue especially when going through walled underpasses or tunnels;p;Sweet:D

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Diesel JD said:

Nope!;Sweet

towcat said:
the only known problem is the "**** eatin' grin" issue especially when going through walled underpasses or tunnels

YUP! Guilty as charged! -Drool -Drool

Just did that mod and all I can say is......... DAYUM does that sound sweet.

People prolly think I've gone off my rocker driving around with the back slider open on the crew cab.........Just listing to the turbo sing I tell em.:D

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Nice. Did you use straight 4" pipe or the bendable stuff? Thanks,
J.D.

I used about 7 feet of straight 4" solid pipe and a mandrel bent tailpipe that I got from my local Napa dealer. Part # 54387 and 1 3"-4" adapter. No flex pipe involved.;Sweet

I have about $120.00 in the whole setup.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I heard rumor on here that a PSD intercooler will drop boost levels by as much as 6 psi :eek: . I have no idea if that would effect anything though, cause the rest of the boost will be cooled significantly which is better than "hot" boost. Colder boost will also be more dense, therefore I think it might make up for the drop in psi levels. One of those big intercoolers might cause some turbo lag, err I guess it would be better to call it boost lag.

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
JD,

You may not think that 4" straight pipe is "unbearably loud" but I can assure you everyone around you will think you are quite rude and childish.

Jim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online