Antarctic IDI Build

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, my headlights are almost caterpillar orange, and about as bright as a match! (Yes @Thewespaul, I know, "do the headlight relay mod, it makes a huge difference" lol)

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Made a little more progress tonight, pulled the valve covers off to replace the leaking gaskets there and to torque the head bolts to 110 ft lbs.

Everything looked very clean inside

You must be registered for see images attach

All the Rocker wear looked very normal

Got one side apart, pulled the rockers off and got all the head bolts torqued (those ones next to the firewall are fun) and that killed my torque wrench so that kinda stopped my progress. So I decided to paint prep the valve covers instead, waiting on what color Matt wants me to use, maybe y’all have some suggestions :D

Cleaned up the gasket surface

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IH grey, as the good lord intended :D

I've always been a fan of semigloss black myself so that's where my vote is.

Are you overtorquing the head bolts for the turbo or is 110 stock spec and you're just checking them?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got my torque wrench warrantied and got back to work on torqueing these heads. Finished up drivers side then started on the passenger side. Got all the valve cover bolts off that side and ended up having take all the accessories and their brackets off that side to get the cover out.

Torqued that side down and fished the cover back in and bolted the accessories back on.

Oh and painted the valve covers while they were out.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As you can see it’s pretty buried in there, lots of added harnesses and heater line right there

Much easier on driver side

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Matt liked the stock color scheme as well, the air cleaner is gonna get replaced with the turbo very soon!

The ih grey is my vote, looks great. And internally that motor is very confidence inspiring it looks great. If I can ask how far off we’re the headbolts? I mean if you can guess how much of a revolution they took I’d be curious to know!

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been crazy busy these last few weeks, couple 60 hour weeks but got a chance to work on this project today. While the truck sat for a few days between Christmas and New Years the lift pump quit pumpin so....

Matt ordered what we needed to do an E pump conversion, I built a little bracket for it to sit on the frame
I used what was supposedly to be grey paint but it ended up being silver, whatever... Dirt should fix that up in no time. Of course welded the nuts onto the back because no one wants to try and reach those.

Used a small plastic filter for now so I can be sure the pump isn’t sucking up rusty crud before I put the good prefilter on. Added a check valve because it works. Used some stainless braided AN line that I had from a nitrous setup and ran it from the pump to the filter.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotta order some more fittings to mate the regulator to the AN line and filter but got everything mounted.

Here a close up of a slick little bracket I made to mount up the coolant filter, we have plans to go through the cooling system but I want it to start filtering now so the system is clean once we start putting new parts on it.

Mounted the fuel pump relay next to the gp relay on the fender, wired it up and ran a long lead down to fuel pump

I’m loving this heat shrink I picked up, it’s got a heat triggered glue/corrosion inhibitor inside the tubing, used it a lot on this project

Mounted the breaker on the fender as well to keep all the electrical together

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
S’more pics

Im happy with how the fuel pump mounting came out, 2 bolts and one wire to unplug them drop a new one in.

Last edited:

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was going to say you need to get busy but I already know you are a hard working man.