Antarctic IDI Build

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was going to say you need to get busy but I already know you are a hard working man.
Thanks Jack! My fathers employees have been breaking things faster than I can fix, but I think 2018 is gonna be a great year for us. Hope you and your wife had a good Christmas, I still haven’t forgotten about that IP, just waiting on a new block then I can start assembling the new engine

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No hurry here, the truck is still on the back burner. We are shoping for a 2001-2006 Yukon XL Denali for road trips. When I find one I am sure it will need some attention before I do anything else.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will tell you I picked up a fuse box at the junkyard that might be helpful for you. I believe it was a 94ish jeep Grand Cherokee. I'm planning on using it for my headlight relays and heater relay. It would also do fuel pump fuse and relay too. It's in a box here somewhere but I think it was about 3"x12" It will fit nicely near the starter solenoid on a bricknose inner fender.
You must be registered for see images attach

Picture isn't mine but is the one I'm talking about.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a small update, wired in in a manual high idle/advance switch. The truck was setup to have one but the switch seemed to be missing, figured it would be useful for cold mornings or if needing some more amps from the alt you can just flip the switch.

Still waiting on parts to finish the fuel system then turbo will be going on.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fuel system is done, got the new fittings in and fuel heater started seeping... pulled fuel filter housing apart and replaced the o ring, filled the filter with atf and it’s setting with it in the IP overnight.

Still holding pressure in the supply side, this things gonna start great!

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Final shakedown drive before pulling it apart to install turbo. Drove 5-6 miles and everything went well, the brakes are awesome. Fuel prefilter looks like this after that little drive, glad I installed the clear cheapy

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the ambulance is gonna sit for a bit while I work on Matt’s other truck, the Ambo got a bath for Matt to check out the progress. Cleaned up pretty well, I’m definitely going to have to build an ambulance like this one of these days.

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome progress sir will be a treat to see the final result

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, so here’s some pics and explanation to make up for the last post. I was on a roll and didn’t want to take my hands out of my gloves to take some pics. Wasn’t cold by northerner standards but about as cold as it gets here Sunday

This installation is sponsored by the air chisel and BFH.

Had to completely bend over the firewall lip and remove it in some places, the trans tunnel double wall got completely removed. Clearanced the appropriate areas with the BFH but still no dice. Dropped trans cross member and lowered the trans down still needed more room, pulled the front passenger side cab mount loose and lifted that side of the cab to fit the up pipe in.

Pulled the trans dipstick to do this, and if you can pulling only the top half of the dipstick keeps you from covering your work area in atf.

Had to remove a bit of the fat firewall insulation to clear the turbine, replaced it with some space foam insulation that doesn’t take up as much space. The adhesive didn’t work well in our temperature, gonna go in with some upholstery adhesive and make sure it stays put.

Next obstacle was the wiring harness for all the ambulance accessories, it ran behind the engine and was held to the firewall with a couple self tappers. Pulled it loose and had to move some things around but routed it in front of the intake and away from the turbo hot side, really the only way without cutting everything and adding a couple feet to the harness.

It’s a mess down there. Gonna be cleaning some of this up once some of the more crucial work is done.

Crossover installed, gonna use a wireless thermometer to see what temp the fuel pump is getting to. May need to make a heat shield but would rather not bury the fp and keep the serviceability but we’ll see.

Currently the oil drain is leaking, got a new gasket for it. Gonna be pulling the turbo to reclock the compressor housing so it lines up with the intake box, currently not even close.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before moving the ambulance harness

Afterwards. Held in by a harness clamp self tapped to throttle bracket.

Old exhaust removed. There’s a couple places where it was pinched from getting crushed under the frame and ambulance box, probably not helping performance.

Trans double wall removed

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
looks good. with the hypermax kit almost the whole fire wall lip has to be cut or bent over. not as bad with the banks but its a pain to get the up pipe in.