Antarctic IDI Build

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just want that switch panel thats above the HVAC because it looks cool lol

I'm looking forward to your hall of fame post because a column is on my list too.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did some misc buttoning up today, fixed a squeaky rear brake and figured out why the windshield wipers/squirters weren’t working.

Replaced a fuse, then a relay then I had wiper but no squirters. I could hear the motor running but no fluid even after blowing out the hose.

Pulled the motor out and the impeller was broken off. Replaced the pump with the impeller and used the new lock washer.
You must be registered for see images attach

Cleaned up the reservoir and used a paint pen to touch up the cap lettering.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some more progress today, got the lower half of the column cover out of the parts pile and installed.

Worked on get the tuning just right, I was getting about 8 psi and the trans wasn’t as snappy as I liked. Banks gauge still isn’t here so I pulled the pyro off my daily for the time being.

Fuel is maxed out right around my goal, I’ve got 12 psi at wot and happy egts. Checked fipl setting and I had .87VDC at idle. No bueno. Adjusted it to 1.2VDC and the trans really woke up, shifts much better.

Here’s a clip of it going through the gears, I’m pretty happy with how it moves considering it’s size and weight.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, it wasn't obvious (to me)how you got the fan clutch and fan off. It looks like your trick is to remove the fan to install a stud and brace a wrench against the stud. Are you loosening the bolt the wrench is attached too, or using the wrench to brace the fan while you remove the large nut (over 2"?) on the neck of the fan?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That wrench is keeping the pulley from turning while I remove the large fan nut, normally they are too tight to remove without bracing the pulley, sorry that wasn’t made clear

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW: Been following this for some time. This project is Awesome! Excellent photos and lots of good information here.

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some more progress today, got the lower half of the column cover out of the parts pile and installed.

Worked on get the tuning just right, I was getting about 8 psi and the trans wasn’t as snappy as I liked. Banks gauge still isn’t here so I pulled the pyro off my daily for the time being.

Fuel is maxed out right around my goal, I’ve got 12 psi at wot and happy egts. Checked fipl setting and I had .87VDC at idle. No bueno. Adjusted it to 1.2VDC and the trans really woke up, shifts much better.

Here’s a clip of it going through the gears, I’m pretty happy with how it moves considering it’s size and weight.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

And dit the gearbox sustain????

(last time my rev's where at 3000/3400 my gearbox puked it's oil all over the place :-(( )

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No issues with the e40d, with the upgrades it will handle more power than it is making now.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, if you read back a few pages I go through the upgrades. The biggest deal with the e40d is keeping it cool, as you add power it becomes increasingly difficult, but heat is what kills these transmissions in most cases.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got back from driving the Ambo 35 miles. Filled up the front tank and treated it heavily with stanadyne performance additive. Got up on the highway and ran it through the gears, the truck did great, keeps up with traffic without an issue and much more responsive in stop and go traffic. Temps were all good, coolant never got above 200* and trans temp stayed below 180. On the highway pulling up a grade I saw 14 psi once, so may need to turn it down a bit. Ill know for sure once I get some weight behind it. This thing attracts a ton of attention, Ive driven full on drag cars down the highway and this gets more attention, pretty fun to drive.

Going to be making some changes and taking it for another drive and weighing it tomorrow, whats yall guess on the weight?

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice ur making good progress makes me want to save a bit n do a project still on the fence though since my wife might kill me unless find a elcomino to build first.

Knowna guy who owns two thought package deal n throw a turbo idi in one, not if I would need to register for a vin or not I know you guys.would know n ugh cab lights wants some but don't want to holes in roof

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
93 Farm Truck

Members online