Another upcoming crazy IDI week...

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trying to get motivated to pull the dually in here right now to get started on this weeks overhaul - I'm planning on building a reverse shackle 5" TTB lift on the front, matching the rear with a shackle flip, putting newer axles with 4.10's in, building a front bumper and mounting my new chrome rear one... and hoping to put some custom trim on, as well. Way to much to do on thanksgiving week, around my normal work schedule and having 2 ip swaps to do as well as getting something done on an the 83 that I'm putting a 94 clip, bed, and doors on... wish me luck, I'll take pics in the spare time :rotflmao. The poor old Jeep is just sitting in the corner begging for attention again :backoff

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
You're working as crazy as I am. I hate tearing my truck apart right after getting it road worthy again, but this is probably the last warm week for a while. So Im probably pulling the engine and trans this week. Im running so low on funds to finish this project its not even funny. Plus Menards is screwing around day after day its something different with my building I ordered. Im so sick of their crap Im ready to tell them off and let the cars sit out in the snow again. One more week and I wont be able to dig footings anyway.

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, got about half of the front done tonight... Remembered I should swap the oil cooler while the front end was missing, so didn't get as much fab work done as I'd hoped. Here are some pics of where I got too though... ;Sweet

Attachments

• PICT0299.JPG
    PICT0299.JPG
    778.9 KB · Views: 71
  • PICT0300.JPG
    PICT0300.JPG
    777.6 KB · Views: 53
  • PICT0301.JPG
    PICT0301.JPG
    778.3 KB · Views: 65

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm curious why you are using pipe instead of square tubing? Looks like your well on your way. How are you handling maintaining alignment?

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I build alot of tube bumpers and other body armor out of tube, so I keep alot more of that pipe stocked around here - The pipe that was inside last night was easier to use than wandering around outside in the 28* darkness to look through my square tube :thumbsup: As far as the alignment goes, I measured alot of stuff before welding that in there - I erred on the side of moving the springs forward if anything, as these Fords tend to have tire rub on the fender side before the bumper side. I also mounted the springs slightly wider in the front than stock, which will make the rear of the springs with the shackles sit slightly closer together than oem - My tires rub on the back of the leaf spring but not the front, so we'll see what happens now. As far as caster/camber, I have a set of drop brackets from maybe a skyjacker 6" lift from some old project sitting around - so I don't have to build them :hail

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Disappointing night 2 - didn't finish my day work until 8, so I didn't have as much time as I'd hoped to put into the dually. Stripped my 4.10 front off the parts truck, and made a stab at pulling the rear shackles off the parts truck - they weren't cooperating and I didn't want to fight with them in the dark. I need the shackles for the back of my front springs, but that will be wednesdays problem. I installed the center drop brackets - 3 out of the 4 bolts that hold these to the engine crossmember stripped, so I just plasma'd them off and welded the top of the brackets in place. I also got the 4.10 driver side mounted, which will move again when I get the shackles off. Was hoping to have most of the front wrapped up tonight, but that's how it goes... I was also hoping to get some daylight to work outside. A couple (bad) pics...

Attachments

• PICT0302.JPG
    PICT0302.JPG
    775.3 KB · Views: 34
  • PICT0303.JPG
    PICT0303.JPG
    780.4 KB · Views: 45

Mudbillyrednec

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very cool concept .

I also have a TTB and a tuff country 6" lift springs and all...That I was getting ready to start

But I actually like the Idea behind useing the stock springs( nice soft ride, over the arched ones ) and droping the front leafs with switching shackle locations.

I've heard that it doesnt really improve the ride that much , if at all by switching the shakles.

Would you please tell us how the ride is after, Please !

I dont mean to play devels advocate, but if you move the springs slightly forward ( even any amount ) and not the TTB brackets doesnt that put the axle halves in kind of a bind ? ( I really cant think of how to explain it this eary in the am..:dunno )

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, it does put more stress on things - It will make the center bushings on the TTB brackets wear out faster. When I "erred" on the side of moving it forward, I'm talking about less than 1/8 of an inch from where the shackle was holding the spring before.

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Night 3 is over - finally got the front to where I wanted it on monday. I probably spent three hours dealing with bolts frozen in bushings! -cuss Both of the dually's rear spring bolts stuck, and one of the shackles off the donor truck were stuck in as well. Done dealing with that now though - Got the shackles mounted, lowered the shock brackets, built the reinforcement bars for the drop bracket that holds the front of the springs, bolted the passenger side TTB back up, reinstalled the brakes and other stuff I'd disconnected... pics of where it sits now - and happy T-day all!

Attachments

• PICT0304.JPG
    PICT0304.JPG
    784.5 KB · Views: 34
  • PICT305.JPG
    PICT305.JPG
    787.4 KB · Views: 41
  • PICT0306.JPG
    PICT0306.JPG
    793 KB · Views: 39
  • PICT0307.JPG
    PICT0307.JPG
    781.2 KB · Views: 39

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool! I was going to do the same thing on my 92, I have the drop brackets already. Are you going to use a drop pitman arm? I'm figuring about 4" for mine, plus the body lift for turbo clearance that should get it up there.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
only question i have is with the weight on the trk is the shackles for the frt axle still straight up and down? if so that is really going to give you problems. the shackles have to be at an angle, if not the spring and the shackle wont cycle correct. when the spring cycles, it gives, which in turn it stretches and the shackle moves to allow it to stretch. with the shackle straight up like that the weight will let it go to one side or the other but it wouldnt let it go back to center. i also believe you are going to have problems with the frt spring bracket you made. dont get me wrong i like the idea, but that bracket has to take a lot of stess and i dont believe the way you mounted it to the frame will be strong enough. if you take it offroad at all i think you are going to rip those welds apart. think about the weight of your trk, the amount of force it makes when its pushing its weight at speed, through any type of mud hole, or for that matter the force at speed it has when it hits a pothole on the street. the pipe should work, but the way you mounted it to the frame is what im talking about. if you would have boxed in the frame on the frt/then made a bracket that went half up the frame then i believe it would be strong enough. im just saying i dont think its mounted to the frame strong enough. i could be wrong. i hope so. but then again what if they do fail, how much damage will it cause, or for that matter where will you be at when it fails.

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ironman- I'm gonna run it this weekend with the stock pitman arm - see what kind of handling characteristics I can get out of it with little alignment adjustments, and get a drop arm if I'm not satisfied.

Lotzagoodstuff- I can't wait to see those either LOL

Mudkckr- Definite good points. Honestly, I don't like the idea of using the stock rear shackles for the back of the front springs - especially not after I pulled them out of the other truck and was reminded of how dinky they are. I don't know how they will sit when the weight of the truck is on them, as I haven't gotten that far yet. I will drive it with that part of the setup this weekend and see if they are functioning as they should or not. I think I will probably end up making my own, as they have a little twist to them now that I don't think will completely go away when the suspension settles. At that point I will move the mount at the frame if it feels like the shackle is not moving correctly. You can usually feel the binding you are talking about from the vertical shackle when operating the vehicle. My personal experience has been hit or miss with vertical shackles, if it works or not also has to do with the angle the spring is mounted at and the load of the spring. I've seen vehicles with vertical shackles that bind so bad that it will break spring packs, and I've seen vehicles that have gone through 2 years of hell without issues from the vertical shackle. As far as the front goes, I am concerned about the strength of the two bars as well - I fully intend on integrating a couple of more support bars from higher points in the frame down to that bracket. I was avoiding boxing in the front of the frame to "streamline" the appearence, if you will - I don't like how massive the front of these trucks are stock, and if I had built the drop bracket out of box steel that joined into the boxed frame the truck would have a 3 foot tall flat front end. I'm hoping to integrate the bumper into these supports as well, but if I don't feel like its strong enough to drive in any condition I may get myself into, it won't go far.

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No - it drives like a dream. I got some 24 hour flu thing after T-day, and it really screwed up my last week - I've had so much going on I haven't had a chance to really finish it or take pics. I still need to redo the exhaust, modify the xmember for the front driveline, build the bumper to reinforce the front, lower the carrier bearing. I have been driving it though - Steering and driveability are great. I love the 4.10's, but definitely need to get the 5 speed in soon. I'll get some pics up when time permits

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online