another turbo thread...

tractorman86

Reaction score
Okay so some of you might remember me. I used to be very active on here but all this year i have been working in laughlin nv. anyway working up here I think I can deal with my truck being downed for a little bit. I have an ats 093 turbo freshly rebuilt but nothing else. On the other hand my dad said I can have the Turbo off his old truck (complete 088 ats system also freshly really built a few years ago and not really used since). My dilemma is, which do I do? I dont do a lot of heavy highway pulling which is why I originally bought the 093 but there is a LOT more work to making that work on my budget. The 088 fits my budget better but not really my needs... what do I do?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
The 088 is a complete kit, but is the 093?

I like the 093 kit myself, but I wouldnt walk away from a 088. I would tend to go more towards the 093 if I were to buy another kit, I like the wastegated turbo's.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
to me it would depend on what all was missing from the 093, I would spend a little extra (assuming i had it) on a wastegated turbo just for the quick spool factor. Now I would not spend a mint just to have a wastegated turbo. I mean lets face it any turbo is better than no turbo and matter of fact I have an external wastegate setting at my house in angleton if you would like to go that route.

although i am not sure that an external gate would help it spool? That seems to be a good question because if an external gate will help it spool then you can pick one up and there is not much extra required to mount one. If it will help then im willing to let mine go pretty cheap.

tractorman86

Reaction score
I definitely agree the 093 is the better Turbo for what I do. But all I have for it is the Turbo and intake snail. I believe the gated turbos spool faster cause they typically have a smaller turbine housing

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
I was thinking that all of the turbo kits mounted to the same flange though? If so just use the mounting stuff from the 088 and just bolt the 093 to the flange. Sorry im not much help but im not extremely knowledgable on turbos

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
No redneckaggie, The 088 has some wierd *sshole mount to it, the up pipe and down pipe are the same piece.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking that all of the turbo kits mounted to the same flange though? If so just use the mounting stuff from the 088 and just bolt the 093 to the flange. Sorry im not much help but im not extremely knowledgable on turbos
I haven't actually compared the oil drain/mount castings between the 088 and 093, but they're certainly NOT identical. I've seen both; just haven't held them side by side yet. I tend to think there's no way to get an 093 mounted on an 088 casting, and even if you could, you'd have some major issues with the exhaust. As mentioned, the 088's exhaust housing looks more like a snail shell than what you're accustomed to, and the exhaust inlet and outlet points are in completely different places.

In short, while I'm sure it could possibly be done with enough fabrication and patience, I don't think it would be worth the time to try and mount an 093 with the 088 hardware...you'd be better off finding parts from an 093 kit.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ill take the 093 turbo and rebuild your 088 whenever needed.Seriously.

tractorman86

Reaction score
If I decide to get rid of the 093 you've got first dibs Russ but ive got $500 into it... freshly rebuilt with all of the exhaust side ceramic coated inside and out if Calvin doesn't want too much for the rest of the parts ill put it on and go that route.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Well in all seriousness I'm pretty let down with my 088 (although it is much better than nothing at all) and I would trade it plus cash for a 093 without thinking twice. The slip coupler is a total pita and it is a nightmare to remove/deal with when it comes time to service the turbocharger. It "might" run cooler while pulling a huge load over the road, but around town and everywhere else it feels like it is not even there. Once you do get enough fuel to feed it when its spooled you end up with a really smokey bottom end that takes awhile to clear out. The puff eliminator and a different intake may help that though :dunno

I'm not saying the 088 is completely worthless but I feel the 093 matches the engine better and I haven't heard too much about crazy EGT's with them either when fueled properly...