Another tire question

nyteshades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to bite the bullet this week and get tires before I head back up to WI next month. Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to do wheels this time around, so I'm stuck with factory steels :puke:. I'm looking at the Yokohama GEOLANDAR A/T-S LT and want to roll with 285/75/16's.

Anyone got any experience with these tires? I need good traction in the snow and rain, maybe a touch of minor off-roading, nothing serious. I do some light towing....but I'm also thinking of bringing back our 28ft travel trailer in the spring....so that's a concern.

Opinions?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, one of our building contractor customers runs those -GEOLANDERS- and nothing else on his fleet of work trucks.

We just replaced a set on a 2WD Dodge that had some over 70,000-miles and will be sold as used to some poor person and most likely go another 20,000.

Another interesting note :

A well-heeled widder-woman was in the shop ordering her third set of Yokohamas for a big old genuine Cadillac Fleetwood.

She said that her husband had wasted money for years on BRAND-X (the guy that looks like the Pillsbury doughboy) , but the car rode better and got more miles on the Yokohamas.

For what it's also worth, we are not a stocking Yokohama dealer and always have to special order them in; just in case anyone thinks I am making some big sales pitch. :)

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
My best friend is a farmer and has a set of the golanders on his f250 and while not the most capable off road tire it has very good road manners and dirt road ability. I want to say he has about 30k on his golanders but he is looking for a fresh set for winter

nyteshades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet....

I'm not looking for serious off road, just enough that if I go out into a semi wet field, I can get back to the road. Something tells me crew cab, long beds are not the ideal off roader. I dunno why that is....:dunno

Any reason factory steels can't hold a set of 285/75/16's?

I have a set of dough boy tires on the 3/4, and I can't say I've ever been real impressed with them. They are are good enough in the rain....but suck in the snow and in the mud.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Another option in tire is the Firestone Transforce AT's. I have a set on my truck, and like them quite well. I have 40,000+ miles on them and they are far from worn out. I would say they look like they are at about half tread depth. This is a walk by look, not a measurement by any means. They are used mainly on-road, do not make alot of noise. I use the truck in the winter as my "get to work vehicle" and have had no trouble in the snow with them. I've had the truck in the mud and muck a couple of times (not off roading, in a grass lot that was soupy) and did not have trouble moving through the muck. I like them, and will look at them for the next set when it is ready. My Dad was so pleased with the performance he bought a set for his truck....

They are not cheap, but seam to be worth the money. I believe these are the successors to the Firestone Steeltec, which were named correctly, because it took forever to wear a set out. Trav ran Steeltecs on E-1 if I remember correctly.

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have geolanders on the back of my dually 235 85 16s. Last year we had a good bit of snow for this area, with 1/2 a bed of wood they worked quite well.