Another Moose is loose in Florida

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We should have checked the meter against your truck JD, I was so hungry for those steaks that I wasnt thinking about it. Hopefully next time we meet up Ill be able to get myself to come off the cash for a new set of tires so I dont have to drive the jetta lol. But I only used a quarter tank to put 400 miles on it doing 80 lol. So I guess it is cheaper.

Hey Guss, let me know how the chevy oil pump is coming along. If you give me a list of what I need to pic up, maybe I can bring the stuff up there with me to put together something like what you have. If you lived closer Id be over at your place all the time lol. I have a lot of good ideas but lack the time and often the ambition to bring them to fruitition like what you do.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought maybe I had a brain glitch thinking those negative numbers were BTDC. I really can't figure out what the meter was trying to tell me or if it was malfunctioning and putting out nonsense. Really it should have been very advanced at idle maybe 5-10BTDC and then close to straight up as we approached the 1400 RPM mark. It seemed all wrong. Like I say I'll have some data points from my truck before I offer this service to anyone else.

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
We should have checked the meter against your truck JD, I was so hungry for those steaks that I wasnt thinking about it. Hopefully next time we meet up Ill be able to get myself to come off the cash for a new set of tires so I dont have to drive the jetta lol. But I only used a quarter tank to put 400 miles on it doing 80 lol. So I guess it is cheaper.

Hey Guss, let me know how the chevy oil pump is coming along. If you give me a list of what I need to pic up, maybe I can bring the stuff up there with me to put together something like what you have. If you lived closer Id be over at your place all the time lol. I have a lot of good ideas but lack the time and often the ambition to bring them to fruitition like what you do.

Wow, Billy- Thanks for reminding me. I know yours will turn out better than mine just because by the time I finished it I had already seen things I should have done better/different. Oh yeah, my centrifuge from PA-Biodiesel came in the mail today... Guess I know what tomorrow night's project is. Do you want the whole rig with heater & everything? Also, can you get your hands on at least a 3/4hp motor?

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
hmm......idi crate motors.....ready to run out of the box That would be cool.

Yeah- I remember seeing those someplace in my internet travels... If I could just remember where. It was a major remanufacturing facility, I spent about fifteen minutes reading at their site about all the stuff they do to them and all the computerized machines they have to get the bores straight & the decks flat. It was actually pretty impressive.

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
Gus, again thanks for having me and I still owe you that timing. One day soon here I'm going to make sure I know what I'm talking about with this meter and maybe we can meet halfway or something so it's not a long drive for either of us, and I'll have the tools I use for this and the Snap-On manual in hand in case I get confused again. The readings I got were around 5*BTDC (negative numbers should be btdc right) at 1400, but add about a half degree to make up for the 359.5 offset needed to use the 0*ATDC hole rather than the recommended 20 ATDC hole. If anyone thinks I'm being idiotic for using the wrong hole, my truck has the same issue as Gus's, no magnetic reading through the 20* hole but a good reading through the 0* hole. With Billy's truck, I could get a reading from both, and with the 359.5 offset the "wrong hole" was exactly the 0.5 * more advanced than the 20 degree with 20 degree offset. If I'm correct in my thinking and the meter was spitting out good info that means you're at 5.5*BTDC which is pretty advanced. If we meet again I'd like to try a different cylinder with the correct offset just to rule out that injector as a problem. For reference, using the same tools and methods, my truck is set to around 0*ATDC +-.5 and Billy's(old pump) we put at around 1*BTDC +-.5 first I'm going to check on my truck and see if the tool is still giving out sensible values. I meant to do this Saturday before coming over but I ran out of time before work.

Hey JD,
I'm glad you could make it even if there were problems with the timing meter, it was good just to meet and talk to another Fla. Oil Burner. Did that different route back home work out OK for you?

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I may have a few 1/2 and 3/4 hp motors, If not Ill rob one of of one of my spare band saws. The heater would be nice, I may even have a few elements, I just need to check my scrap stash. I never know what Ill find out there.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Gus, the route you had me on worked out fine...until I got off the beaten path, but it wasn't too long or far out of the way before I had it all figured out again. It wasn't too bad really considering it's my first trip by myself to downtown Jax.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OLDBULL- neither the old-old or new-old high idle solenoid that I had on hand could be made to function even with a direct connection to a battery (they ARE just 12v neg ground solenoids, right?) anyway we are currently solenoidless.. After I get the P/S belt on tonight I'll take him for a ride to warm up and adjust the idle down as you say.
The Hi idle solenoid ( Batt. +) is connected thru a temp sensor on the pass side next to the #1 GP, the temp sensor is NC and opens at 120* head coolant temp. You have to set (help) the solenoid plunger extend by pushing the go pedal down one time with the key on before starting.

Attachments

• 7.3 IDI sensor layout.gif
    7.3 IDI sensor layout.gif
    248.2 KB · Views: 10

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
Yessir, that's SOP for cool/cold weather starting, more specifically I was stating that I could not get either of the soleniods to actuate even with a designated hot wire from the positive terminal of the battery to the contact on the solenoid, with the body of the soleniod pressed firmly against the negative battery post. Then, I was asking if it was actually a 12v solenoid, with the implied but unwritten question being "Or is there some other lower voltage that is actually supplied to this thing somehow and have I just toasted the **** out of it because I stuck it straight to the battery like an idiot?" Surely you could see that, right???LOL

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the solenoid is bad. It runs on battery voltage. You can't hurt it by hooking it directly. Ohm it out, and I bet it has an open circuit or high resistance. You'll need a new one if you want that functionality back.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I'm kinda hoping to fix the bed myself and take the insurance money and spend it on a moose pump LOL.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
94turbo... If there was a turbo idi crate motor offered anywhere I would be the buyer. These blocks are no longer made but.... We can get new and much better heads. They are made offshore and are thicker in the right places. The web between the valve ports and the deck is thicker. They weigh about 10 lbs more than the oem heads... No new 6.9 heads are available..... Yet Any internal part of these motors can be bought new also. New crank, cam, rods and oil pump....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online

No members online now.