Another GP controller ?

IDIeselman

Reaction score
Coming home from last years rally I smoked my GP controller (7.3 ) I replaced it with a new one and new beru's. Ever since then when I cycle the plugs it keeps taking longer for them to cycle, I just went out to start my truck and I'm up to 42seconds, It started right up unplugged and 22 degrees but the wait time is killing me.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
The solid state system gets longer with colder temps, is that what you are experiencing? Mine cycles about 10 - 15 seconds in the summer, everytime, hot engine, cold engine, doesn't matter. In the winter, I have seen as long a 1+ minute of cycle time, scares me, but I assume the system knows what it is doing! With that in mind, I have great starts, as you said, just long cycle times. When it was like -10 a week or so ago, I went out and started all the vehicles, including my 87 which was not plugged in, even though it was that cold, I was sweating cause that light seemed to stay on FOREVER!!! After hearing no longer than 10 seconds on a push button, I was real worried, but it fired right off, just like always.

I would say that is just normal at 22 degrees, it sure seems so with mine.

IDIeselman

Reaction score
thanks for the info, I guess I'll leave it be, It's just hard to sit there looking at that light wondering when it will go out......... with visions of swelled GP tips:puke:

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
thanks for the info, I guess I'll leave it be, It's just hard to sit there looking at that light wondering when it will go out......... with visions of swelled GP tips:puke:

OHHH do I know what you mean!!!! Just drove mine into town to get feed and the ole lady thought I was going to have a breakdown!!! She kept saying what is wrong with you, I just pointed at the light and grasp my chest. :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao She has no clue what I am talking about, but it just seemed to take forever to go out. When it did, hit the switch and it was running in probably 1/4 turn.

Just so you know, when I bought mine and the gp's were bad (autolite and I was lucky) mine short cycled. The light would come on for about 1/2 - 1 second then go out. From the 87 tech manual I have, it says that short cycling is a common thing with burnt glow plugs or poor ground, so I assume as long as it is on for a long time, I have no bad (swelled) glow plugs.

One other thing, I know you don't know me, never met me, but I need to ask you a favor - could you please change your avatar? My keyboard can't take any more drewl!!! I am not even close to a Ford fan, and that truck of yours is just freaking killer. My uncle had one just like it (not diesel or as nice of course) and we had so much fun in it, hunting and 4X4ing while hunting, funny how a good hunt almost always turned into a 4X4 experience!!! Anyway, just kidding, but that is one damn fine truck!

IDIeselman

Reaction score
OHHH do I know what you mean!!!! Just drove mine into town to get feed and the ole lady thought I was going to have a breakdown!!! She kept saying what is wrong with you, I just pointed at the light and grasp my chest. :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao She has no clue what I am talking about, but it just seemed to take forever to go out. When it did, hit the switch and it was running in probably 1/4 turn.

:rotflmao :rotflmao Anyone who reads that is going to crack a rib laughing, I know I did, Propobly everyone on this board has done that at least once when (the light) seemed to be stuck on.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
:rotflmao

Not funny when you start adding up head gaskets, valley pan, hours of work, etc. just to get a freaking glow plug tip outta there!!! :backoff :backoff :rotflmao :rotflmao