another DMF & SMF question

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Other day I was talking about my clutch slipping once in 5th & not being able to make it happen again....
I think it was probably the clutch that slipped. As I understand the DMF design it can't "slip", If DMF slipped it would have come apart.??

Yesterday I checked the play in my DMF....in neutral, I turned one way the smaller side that had the PP bolted to it till the ringgear section started turning (turning engine). Marked that spot,tooth. Turned the other direction till the ringgear section started turning. Marked that tooth.....5 teeth movement= 1&1/2"....
It's a wonder this thing hasn't blown all to h*** and left me stranded! Now I'm scared to go anywhere, scared to leave home!!!!:D

I'm getting my ducks all lined up to try the "Lucky Mod" late this week or weekend, I think I can do it, at least give it a try. Money wise, I need to. Curiosity makes me want to....I just gotta try!!! I may to take some pic....don't know how to post though.

If the modified DMF looks like it will work when I get it out, I probably will get it resurfaced.
I've search here at OB & TDS to see if anyone knows if a larger clutch kit (spring loaded) will fit on this DMF. I've seen several others asking the same question, but havn't found any answer yet. I'm assuming that I probably have a 11" clutch, I'll know when I get it out.

Does anybody here know? And does anybody know what clitch kit I should go back with, which ever size I use??

SKimballC

Reaction score
I was recently worrying about my DMF, and I could not figure out what clutch would fit a lucky mod. I think if you have the flywheel in hand at a big NAPA store, you could probably find something that would work.
I measured my DMF play the same way you did, and I had what appeared to be about an inch of slop, but the springs are in good shape and I found the source of my rattling (not flywheel), so I figured I'd wait til it acts up to deal with it. The DMF will not stay in my truck in the long run though.
If you get into the Lucky Mod, please do a service to us all and TAKE PICS! That would help all of us flywheel fence-straddlers make some more sense outta Lucky and Mel's words, especially if you can find a suitable clutch kit.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good to hear another lucky mod prospect is coming along. It would be nice to see another person running it to help others gain confidence. Make sure you pick high quality bolts. Get the nuts that have the nylon inserts so you don't need any washers, and put some red thread lock on them. Use a torque wrench to set them to the proper torque (that being whatever a bolt that size is rated for, which I don't remember off hand).

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Make sure you pick high quality bolts. Get the nuts that have the nylon inserts so you don't need any washers, and put some red thread lock on them.

Might I make a suggestion on the nylon stop nuts.

Even tho I didn't use thread loc, which was my fault and not carefully reading Jim's mod, He recomended not using them with the amount of heat buildup which is why my mod failed.
Using the all metal stop nut and the thread loc would be my suggestion as I'll do the mod again when Goldie needs it.;Sweet

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whatever it takes to keep the nut from loosening. ;) I haven't noticed any melting of the nylon, but then I don't ride the clutch either. Ron's point is well made.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Whatever it takes to keep the nut from loosening. ;) I haven't noticed any melting of the nylon, but then I don't ride the clutch either. Ron's point is well made.
Yeah, good bolts & thread lock etc. Resurface & balance too. This isn't a project to do short cuts....can't just "raise the hood & there she is"

(however, if I get "stressed" I might just weld the 2 halves together....& duck& run for cover!!!!LOL :D cookoo)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat