and you thought working on IDI's was not fun...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the new 6.4 owner will ever do more than check their oil and water....this is a mech's worst nightmare by far........-cuss-cuss-cuss

Attachments

• 29-2008-ford-super-duty-f-250-350-450.jpg
    29-2008-ford-super-duty-f-250-350-450.jpg
    722 KB · Views: 173

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Well, that dipstick sure looks handy right there. cookoo I think the engine is underneath all that right?:D ;Really

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what? The new PSD? See.... I remember back when Autocad introduced a feature that allowed you to rotate and move drawing parts around to see if they interfered with each other. The engineers I worked with thought that was really cool. I did too. Dang if it doesn't come back to bite us! There is no way any human could cram all that crap in there without advanced 3D cad software. -cuss

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder how much of the clutter is EPA emissions crap. When can one buy one of these beasts? Just curious, I think I will stick with my IDI.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
I've seen this before....

Seen this very scene several times before for years......and every time it was in the middle of one of my nightmares........you know, the toss'in, sweaty, mumbling kind. :confused:
Then I always wake up.....& all is well & good...;Sweet

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Gee.... Thats a mess waiting for something to happen.... I see the coolant radiator is up front instead of behind everything. Maybe Ford was having a cooling issue. It would seem really easy to pull the coolant radiator being way up front... Till someone pokes a hole in it during a front end collision... Calvin..... Maybe you never looked under the "bonnet" of a Jag XKE 12 or XJ 12L. My wife had one and all I did was work on it. The back 2 spark plugs needed 2 universal joints just to reach them AFTER you removed all kinds of crap. At least they were on the top side of the heads kinda in the valley but they were terrible. The fuel injectors had a very short rubber fuel line that had 2 clamps on it. When you smelled fuel while it was running you stopped and tightened them or a fire was sure to happen. Sure, the 12 cylinder was soooo smooth running... When it ran... The auto adds around here would list a car this way. Low miles.. garage kept. The factory adds said this. He drives a Jaguar because he can afford to... They were a garage queen for sure. I finally installed a 383 chevy. Thats a stretched 350 block with a reground 400 crank. I ran till a redlite teebone totaled it. I was unhurt but the rear differancial was ripped out from under it and the fuel tank ruptured. The lady hit mt in the middle of the passenger side door and boy did it tear the sheet metal down to the wheel. Spun me 3 times but I don't remember anything. about that. That was what a whitness said.....:rolleyes:

jrisingmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder how much of the clutter is EPA emissions crap. When can one buy one of these beasts? Just curious, I think I will stick with my IDI.

Probably most of it. For a while there I couldn't find the second battery. Thought it might have been in the glove box but I found it.

Mechanics 10 years from now, if/when bio goes mainstream, will be filled with dread if a 6.4 rolls into the garage. If/when bio goes mainstream, all of those EPA regulations won't matter anymore since the fuel'll burn cleaner anyway.

Do you have to go back to the dealer to get those worked on?

Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess the great Gods at Ford figured they needed to put in as many extra parts as they could to justify the $50,000 you have to pay to drive one. The up front radiator really bugs me. Not only is it real small, but it looks like an accident waiting to happen. I can just see a good size rock flying up and taking out the radiator. And of course, that will only happen when you're towing 10K pounds about 500 miles from home.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well Ford sure had a great place for the serpentine belt path. Looks like they have 2 of them on the motor. I'll bet there really hard to reach and place over each pulley. Now is a great time to design a radiator BRA...:rotflmao Why a guy could sell a bunch od them for sure. Now how would you market it.....??? I got it..... THE POWERSTROKE HOT BRA..... That'll get er dun .....:rotflmao

big van

Nobody Special
Reaction score
WOW!!! I have more room under the hood of my van. Imagine the the mechanics when they have to work the bugs out the 1st couple of years. :puke: -cuss