Am I dead in the water

psy9zach

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is what appears to be a hole in the plate right behind the cover for the IP gear where you put the oil in at. Just wondering if anyone has solutions for how to get a replacement etc or he'll if its a part of the block and at that point I'm dead any help would be appreciated

Sent from my ASUS_A006 using Tapatalk

psy9zach

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the hole
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s not a hole, it’s a dish style plug in the block and a low point for oil to collect in. More than likely your gear cover is leaking oil.

psy9zach

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So where do you get a dish plug from? If I put a new one in will it blow out?

psy9zach

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So where do you get a dish plug from? If I put a new one in will it blow out?

psy9zach

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that just like a freeze plug where a circle if so do you think will bend down on there?

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Is that just like a freeze plug where a circle if so do you think will bend down on there?

There is nothing to do but clean up the oil. It's just a low spot, as I understand it. I suppose you could fill in the low spot with silicone if it really bothers you that oil is pooling there.

psy9zach

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well its spilling onto the center of the block and pools at the back underneath where my glow plugs delay is till it drips(where it is at now that made me notice it)

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the seal across the front of your valley pan is leaking you would get oil there too I believe. Biggest thing you need to do is find out where the oil is coming from , bad gasket, something loose. clean it up good and watch it.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It's most likely not leaking from the plug. I don't believe that there is any oil pressure underneath there to cause it to leak. Like Wes said, it's most likely the gear cover that is leaking. If it is, nothing that you do to this spot will stop the leak. What this probably is is the left over distributor hole from the gas engines that these engines were based on (somebody please correct me if I'm, wrong on this!). The plug was way simpler and less costly than a new casting just to eliminate this hole. Look at the second gen 7.3 Powerstroke. They don't have a mechanical fuel pump but the hole for it is still in the block with a plug installed in it.

psy9zach

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine doesn't have a plug at all that hole was just open truck had a bad shock and bouncing don't think it could be been thrown up out of there? There is a trail front to back?

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's most likely not leaking from the plug. I don't believe that there is any oil pressure underneath there to cause it to leak. Like Wes said, it's most likely the gear cover that is leaking. If it is, nothing that you do to this spot will stop the leak. What this probably is is the left over distributor hole from the gas engines that these engines were based on (somebody please correct me if I'm, wrong on this!). The plug was way simpler and less costly than a new casting just to eliminate this hole. Look at the second gen 7.3 Powerstroke. They don't have a mechanical fuel pump but the hole for it is still in the block with a plug installed in it.
I don't believe the IDI was ever built off of a gas engine. Which is why it was such a good engine. Although don't have any specs in front of me, am sure it was designed as a diesel from the ground up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

psy9zach

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So from what I can tell the cap is in fact still in there the cover for the IP pump is leaking at the base. Is that something easily changed I hear taking that off can screw with timing and cause worse leaks? any suggestions also if anyone has any glow plug knowledge did all of them have that little glow plug controller 6 pin cylinder or where some of them controlled by just the relay with the busbar? Bc I can't seem to find the controller anywhere in there I was looking for a bad ground as the culprit when I discovered the oil and got distracted by thinking there was a hole in the block

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online