Am I barking up the wrong tree?

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had to charge both batteries today after trying to start in two attempts with the normal ten seconds on-twenty seconds off cycle...

Got one back on and fully charged, so started wondering if starter had a small short to ground...

Nope, so with the ground cable attached to battery, I discovered that with key off, DVOM positive probe on positive post of battery and negative probe on the Stator cable that connects on the positive post of battery and got a voltage reading of 11.66, while post to post is just over 13 Volts...

Bad diode? Do I need to replace alternator? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

You must be registered for see images attach

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
charged both how?
they could be out of balance, separate and charge them one at a time, then load test each one once charged

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But what about the back ward flow into the stator of alternator?

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
charged both how?
they could be out of balance, separate and charge them one at a time, then load test each one once charged
I used a 200/40/6>2 amp for two batteries and they really weren't too badly discharged and for the other two backup batteries I keep on hand, I used a 80/30/6>2 amp charger... I had two chargers going...

The Alt might be bad, but apparently the bigger problem is a nearly dead starter... Cable connections are good and clean up by the battery and down by the starter...

So, using the 200 Amp engine start feature on first charger, in tandem with two fully charged batteries connected in their respective places, the total of all three sources of amperage still wasn't enough to spin engine fast enough to catch... turned engine start off to rest for approx 5 min and then turned it back on later for another try...

Nope, it grew even slower to the point where it sounded again like the batteries were drained... Disconnected all clamps and tested open voltage between posts and it was 12.84 with both bats connected in parallel...

Ergo, naughty starter...

Let's see, now I can add the bad starter to the plethora of problems that popped up since last Saturday...

Smelling hot tranny fluid and throwing codes 29, 56, 62 and now 65... Going to really clean out wiring harness to SP and the Range detector harness and change tranny fluid, the stuff has been in there since spring of 2009 but has had some replaced since cooler line popped off till I lost forward momentum and another time when all of the fluid in TC spilled out because I had to pull old engine out with the damn thing still connected by one nut... Damn engine seized up before I could get the 4th nut off and wouldn't turn anymore (Block Worm)...

Ok, that's the biggest problem and not too bad as far as changing tranny fluid goes, but I have to adjust the tranny cable that I paid good coin for a ****** mechanic to install... Oh he installed it all right, but you gotta adjust it with the shifter on the column in D and he never did... So can't grab 1st gear and I gotta fix that before I refill tranny and go through all of the gears a few times before I can fill it the rest of the way... GRR!!!

Then Pressure sensor on filter head started leaking in addition to the little port where the fuel heater sticks it's head out... Got a slightly smallish o-ring in there but plan to delete it and plumb a pressure gauge there and I've already plugged the hole where the pressure sensor once sat... Now it's not loosing prime as much but air is still getting in there and I think it's the two olives on both ends of the line from head to IP and I've got them, just waiting for a good time to do it I guess...

That's just the most pressing needs that needs to be taken care of...

Then there's the 38 gal tank I bought with all of the other things needed for a complete swap, clean out the black showerhead grit that's in the fuel lines and take apart and clean tank selector valve and to do all of that, I need to take the bed off and got all of the new bolts to put a maybe better bed on.

Might as well talk about the rest of the things that need to be done to truck...

I'm presently looking for a parts truck for the front doors, fenders and bed and hoped to do that this weekend, but the owner of truck I picked out lost his title and now I have to wait for that... In the meantime, I'm going to get a Ranger so I can get back to work... And to have a 2nd means of transportation... You CAN catch bedbugs from the city buses...

Since last Saturday, everything has turned to ****, but one thing did change for the good...

I thought my IP was getting tired and I was getting the dreaded hot starts, but it turned out to be the starter... They last about two years and then I exchange it for another one... Autozone lifetime warranty...

Thanks for listening, sometimes everything just falls on you all at the same time over the duration of a week... I'm 63 and THAT"S never happened before... :bail

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's an update for those who are avidly hanging on to every word from my sorry ass saga with my truck and uncle Murphy...

Well, today I worked up enough mojo to get down and dirty with my naughty starter and it took me about 2.5 hours after I cleaned up a stinky triple hairball that some skanky diseased cat left for me right there under the truck where I had to work...

In what seemed eons later, I spread a double layer of plastic sheeting over the foul hairball super disaster site and went to work. I use a ten inch by 5/16th (3/8th?) bolt on top of starter to make life easier and this time around, I was really happy I did that.

Got all of the bolts off but the starter wouldn't come out... Twisted on the body and it twisted along too!

The dang motor was coming apart and the o-ring between motor and the "Bendix" case had split and was working it's way out around the starter...

Got out my trusty 18" bearing race punch and a 2 pound sledgehammer and it took about 5 min of careful whacking to get it off...

Yeah, I guess it was the starter, not the batteries that failed me... Stupid Chinese starters... I bet they also make the world's best starters, but those are for them only... Their junk is what we buy, no wonder we are the laughing stock of the world...

/rant off

While I was down there, just for gits and shiggles, I turned front driveshaft and it turned and turned and turned, wouldn't stop... I know that when in two wheel drive, front is freewheeling but when you turn that driveshaft, the locking hubs should be holding on to it... If locked...

But in my case, with automatic hubs, they used to turn about 2/3rds of a turn before locking up... Guess I can add locking hubs to the list of things to fix... Underside of truck between oil pan and transfer case was wet with tranny fluid and cooler lines to bottom of rad are coated with red tranny fluid... I guess that's how I lost tranny fluid (was low when codes were thrown), gotta go around and tighten all hose clamps now...

While I was down there and playing around, I discovered that the U joint at rt front doesn't have the dust caps anymore... Heck it doesn't even have the needle bearings anymore!!! I had been driving 180 miles a day in stop and go traffic for two months and was just too busy to at least perform a visual inspection underneath...

I'm sure I'm going to find more things as I go along fixing the things I already know about...

I guess the lesson to learn here is don't get lazy with these trucks or it'll come back to bite you in the patootie...

Maybe I should turn this thread into something along the likes of "The Saga of Nebraska's Brown Truck" or something like that, where I can update my progress with pictures and stories...

Interested? :peelout

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Sure. Go ahead. Things either seem to all go smoothly for me or it all hits at once. I can understand this feeling. I'm still dealing with buying a $400 truck for the engine and then deciding that I liked it too much to part out and am driving it. The last driver (the guy I bought it from bought it fix and then 2 1/2 years later sold it to me after not touching it) abused/neglected the heck out of this poor truck.

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The last driver abused/neglected the heck out of this poor truck.
Yep... That was how I treated this truck...

In the last two months, because I hated the 2.5 hour daily drive, I would go pedal to the metal (85 mph) till I started hitting traffic, then it would be "step on the gas" (bad on the TC) when traffic moves, just to keep the ******* in the other lane from squirting into my lane with less than a car length in front of me and then, it would be "slam on the brakes" (guess I better check the brakes too) to keep from running into the guy in front...

Stop and go traffic, to work and back home... I wondered what the Semi Truck drivers must think as they go slowly while watching all of the maniacs weave through traffic...

Of course I cringe when I see the rice burners weave in and out at high speeds in stop and go traffic! I always mutter "future hamburger meat" when they go flying past me between the lanes...

It's really crazy down here in Florida in the big cities and I live right smack between Tampa and Orlando... Imagine what that's like and multiply that threefold...

I killed my truck because of that...

But after a week off with no transportation, I'm getting my sanity back.

But I get to start it all over again on Monday, with a little tin can, a 1994 Ford Ranger!!!

Boy, that's going to feel weird...

I must need my head checked... cookoo

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Imagine what that's like and multiply that threefold...
I was just down visiting Thewspaul about a month ago. It seemed like one HUGE city from Denton, TX all the way to San Antonio. I understand COMPLETELY. I was talking about things like the steering wheel was completely gutted. The ignition switch was hanging from the wires. You started it with the rod that actuates the switch by inserting it into the switch by hand. The driver's side upper door hinge has no pin or no bushing in it. It appears to have a 10MM bolt stuck in there. Little things like that.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
It seemed like one HUGE city from Denton, TX all the way to San Antonio. /QUOTE]

I grew up down in that country (Nocona) & I remember cotton & wheat as far as you could see...... before the IDI days it was.

East to west "Town" starts east of Dallas about Greenville & don't stop till..... well about San Diego I think. LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726