Altitude affecting Turbo IDIT causing smoke?

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, gauges are in. I found a used CTS2 and ordered their 12v power cord. (They are usually power by the OBD2 port)

Only had time to take a 15 minute test drive. The factory turbo seems really slow to spool and I can't get over 5.2psig of boost!!

Most of time the truck is in NA mode.
Highest egt was up a steep hill and hit 1188.

I made a little video, but I don't know where to host it so here is a screen capture of my max boost on a flat pull in 4th gear.

You must be registered for see images attach

Please excuse my ignorance, but where does the CTS2 get signal from for boost and the other parameters?

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
It obviously does not have an obd port. Edge sells a 12v kit that just wires to a key on key off fuse. Their programming has an option for no obd.

I drilled and tapped the intake for the boost sensor and the driver's side exhaust manifold for the EGT. As you can see I also have an ambient air temperature sensor that I put in the grill just ahead of the stock air intake.

I plan to add coolant temp, oil pressure and a fuel pressure sensor as funds allow.

For me, it seems like it is a very high quality product. The biggest downside is that each expansion of 2 gauges means $152 for the expansion adapter. Another plus is I can use the obd2 cord and move the faceplate to another vehicle when I need to.

You must be registered for see images attach

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
The CTS was listed locally for $250.
It is the #84130. It came with the cables and only the egt probe.

I spent $152 for the #98605 expander universal sensor input. The 12v kit #98615 was $25. The boost sensor #98607 was $111 + $5 shipping.

To be honest I thought that the boost sensor would come with everything I needed to install it, so the $152 expander was a budget buster that I didn't plan on.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Well, I followed the DB2 tuning guide and found the 5/32" Allen extremely tough to turn. I was able to get (I think) 2 flats.It then became so hard to turn I was afraid that would damage something.

It definitely runs much better and it seems to be lighting the turbo faster. So while I still puff some black smoke at take off it does clean up a little quicker.

I saw just about 10psi max.

Still mulling over getting the Hypermax puff limiter.

Maybe a VGT would be the answer? Too much work for this summer, so maybe a winter project idea.

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Well, I followed the DB2 tuning guide and found the 5/32" Allen extremely tough to turn. I was able to get (I think) 2 flats.It then became so hard to turn I was afraid that would damage something.
Your fuel screw could be bottomed out. Your pump may need some attention by a fuel guy.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would leave it setup how it drives nicely and you have the power you want.

On the rare chance you get reported for smoke and have to be tested, simply turn the fuel back down before getting your opacity checked.

I've never (knock on wood) been called in and I drove for a few years with a full Moose pump prior to installing the Smoke Puff Limiter.

The modest styling of our Trucks just doesn't fit the flat bill coal roller look.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Big test today. Headwinds plus a small pass.

Definitely need an intercooler. Was having to back off at 1150 over the pass. Pulls pretty good otherwise.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online