Alternator upgrade - fusible link question

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today I'm putting a 135A Alternator on the Moose Truck, in preparation for the electric fans. As part of this, I'm replacing the factory wiring in the charging circuit because A) - It's old, and B) - The alternator doc says to upgrade to #4 gauge wire. There in lies my question. The original wire which leads to the starter solenoid terminal (after going about 3 extra feet, just to make the shunt for the ameter happy), is attached to said terminal with a 14gauge fusible link. Now that fusible link, according to the service manual, is designed to protect the chassis wiring in the event the harness should become grounded or otherwise overloaded. Since the link is to protect the harness, it doesn't seem to me I should resize it, but at the same time, how am I going to pump the extra current through that link to charge the batteries and run the accsories (new stereo, fans, etc).

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never had much confidence in fusible-links.

I would toss the link in favor of something on this order :

http://waytekwire.com/

You need a fuse capable of handling the maximum alternator output.

I had a link to some real neat permanent-mount single Maxi-Fuse holders, but I can't find it.

Last edited:

sassyrel

Reaction score
midnight--linky no worky ----------------------- mel---go and get a maxi fuse from a auto supply house, that you can attach the ends of the #4 wire to, and id fuse it for 100 amps. that fuse will take short periods of more current----but not for long--and i dont know if the auto supply house will have them capable of 100 amps. but if you can get midnights link to work--waytek carrys much neat stuff--i have their catalogue, and they probably do have it----

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
175A fuse witha bussman hd fuse holder. i can get u the PN for it from napa if u'd like. use some 4 awg cable with solder on ends w/ solder pellts and ur good to go.

or u can order everything from rjmtechnoligues.

tractorman86

Reaction score
i just fabbed up a couple 50amp circuit brakers togather inplace of the fl i'll post a pic as soon as i can.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have always run my alternator right to the battery I don't even use that BS curcuit.

That is the BEST way.

I couldn't get the dumb WAYTEK site to let me link direct to the product.

Here is a link to WAYTEK :

http://waytekwire.com/

Go to products, then circuit protectors/fuse-holders, then large fuse-holders, and you can choose from what you see.

Sorry for the inconveniences.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
A fuse is the best choice, I had a wiring meltdown on my 63 thanks to a bad amp gauge...Wish I would have had a fuse in there as it could have saved me some wiring work. Fuse it for 100A, I doubt you'll draw that much at one time.

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
Buss makes high amp breakers. I have a 160 amp powerline on mine so I just used a 165 amp inline to the battery.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I'm putting a 135A Alternator on the Moose Truck,

What brand/kind ??

Store-bought or custom wound ??

Pictures, please.

I would like a hi-amp alternator, but my old original stocker replacement, that was on the 6.9 for years, still carries any load that I have thrown at it, and the truck/trailer has about half-a-million lights.

What amperage was stock on an 85 diesel with A/C ??

FordGuy100

Reaction score
What brand/kind ??

Store-bought or custom wound ??

Pictures, please.

I would like a hi-amp alternator, but my old original stocker replacement, that was on the 6.9 for years, still carries any load that I have thrown at it, and the truck/trailer has about half-a-million lights.

What amperage was stock on an 85 diesel with A/C ??

x2

I have all the same questions ;Sweet

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I have two of these or similar wired to both - and + going to the cabin of the Bronco. The feed power distribution blocks that feed the various radios etc I have.
http://www.monstercable.com/mpc/productPageMPC.asp?pin=3067&section=four

I would suggest two one each for - and + then use 4 guage to wire direct to starter solenoid and a 4gua gound direct to frame with fuse as well.

You can pick quite a variety of fuse sizes....thus keeping your Alt and wiring safe!

JM2CW

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online

No members online now.