alternator size

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the other thing worth mentioning, I have never seen an older stock ford setup that actually puts out enough juice to charge (or maintain load as it is) at normal idle...every one I ever recall looking at needs an extra 400 rpm or so just to keep up with the vehicle demands

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will say this about my old 1G alternator that has remained with the truck through the Cummins swap; I have no idea of its output rating, but it has to be quite a bit above stock.

Over twenty years ago, the original 1G that came on my 6.9 went haywire.

I got a Ford re-man one at the local dealership, the one that is still on the Cummins today.

I have no idea of it's amperage output.

My truck is completely covered in double-bulb markers, as is my big gooseneck cattle trailer.

There are many auxilliary driving lights, reverse lights, loading lights, and what-have-you.

I can turn on the wipers, A/C, all the lights, and anything else I am forgetting, and the volts gauge barely drops at idle; the lights remain bright and the wipers maintain speed; all this with that puny 10-AWG charge-wire that Ford put on there (which is probably welder hot when all that stuff is on).

After me bragging on it, it'll probably quit in a day or two. :rolleyes:

All that aside, I have four 110-555 160-amp Leece-Nevilles laying under the bench, custom machined pulleys, home-made brackets, and almost everything else I need; and, as soon as the weather becomes more agreeable for such endeavors, I am converting three of our most driven trucks to Leece-Neville. ;Sweet