Alternator 1G and 3G difference

kpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Van is Econoline E-350 1991 with ambulance package and it needs a new alternator. When I was ordering a new one i noticed two different case models, 1G and 3G. So what is the difference between these models and how will i know which one to order?

Thanks in advance...

kpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link

So basically #G is just a generation and all mounting points should be about the same between 1G and 3G. All there is left is to do the wiring, but if i take the 1G it would be a bolt on without wiring, am i correct?!?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The old style alternator (1G or 2G or whatever) is known to catch on fire at the harness plug, and the harnesses is barely adequate for the current to begin with, plus fusible links are just a pain in the butt to deal with. So if I were you I'd go straight for the 3G alternator, you end up with something that performs better and is also safer for your truck (and you). On the mounting points - yes, as long as both alternators you're looking at are listed for an IDI diesel Ford van you should be good with either of them.

kpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks again, i don't want my van to catch fire so i'll order the 3G model

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah man, the only reason I haven't done the same for my F350 is that the previous owner already installed a new 120A alternator with a stud mount power cable, still has the darn external voltage regulator tho... once that dies I'm going 3G as well, the less wires I got in my engine bay the better :D

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 1G alternator is the old style external regulator alternator, the 2G is the one that likes to catch fire.
It's entirely possible that a 91 still has a 1G, the truck that my turbo had came off of did.
The 1G's are a good solid alternator, no big amp ratings, but, they tend to be pretty much bulletproof. 2G = crap
3G's I haven't much experience with, but, they do come in some pretty nice big amp ratings stock.
4G's, IIRC, use the PCM for voltage regulation.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If this van was actually converted into an ambulance it likely does not have a factory Ford alternator, but a high output alternator such as a Leece-Neville. (My 94 E350 ambulance had a 230 amp alternator).

A 3G is easy to identify, there will be lots of small holes in the front of the case, and no external fan.

kpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep it's been an ambulance for all of its life, made by http://www.wheeledcoach.com/.

A couple of years ago it has been released from its duties and now it's just a regular van, but it still has all the ambulance stuff in it. Previous owner disabled the ambulance stuff and i noticed that he had also changed the alternator to 70 amps model and it's not enough for my future plans to put all the ambulance + other stuff back on. So that's why i'm changing the alternator.

I haven't been around these trucks or vans for long yet so my next question would be, which one of these alternators you would buy (links below). There is so many different models and brands, so whats is good. It has to be minimum of 130-140 amps. I chose those two shops, because i have ordered stuff from them before.

Direct links:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1117482,parttype,2412

or from this list

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+4294908331+4294907928+4294924928+4294925143+4294839060+4294880793+115+4294839902

BTW. it doesn't matter that it costs around $300, because today i asked from the local dealer and he said that 165 amp model would cost about $1080 :eek: . Things are a little bit more expensive here than in the US...

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just bolt on a 130 amp 3G from the junkyard. (Even if you want to use a reman you need the wiring from a junkyard vehicle. Taurus with 3.0L OHV is a good donor). There is no sense in bolting on a "maxed out" old style alternator.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
This should be evrything you need to know about Ford Alternators, from Hemmings, Motor News. July 2007

Attachments

• 20080605062119988.pdf
    225.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 20080605062249069.pdf
    79.9 KB · Views: 23

kpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all who replyed

Just ordered BECK/ARNLEY 3G 130 amp remanufactured alternator from Rockauto. All there is left to do is the wiring. But I don't think that will be huge problem, because i looked in to my F-250 and it has 3G alternator, so i know where to look some help...

Just bolt on a 130 amp 3G from the junkyard. (Even if you want to use a reman you need the wiring from a junkyard vehicle. Taurus with 3.0L OHV is a good donor). There is no sense in bolting on a "maxed out" old style alternator.

I would have looked from the junkyard, but there's a tiny problem with that. In Finland these trucks/Vans aren't so common, so even if i had searched all the junkyards i doubt that i would have found any 3G alternators or even a Taurus with 3.0 litre engine. So my only choices were to pay $1080 to local dealer or order remanufactured from Rockauto or some other store with 1/5 of that price.

But thanks again and i'll start to wait my alternator to arrive...