Alright...my turn

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Pix from the other day. Unfortunately I was not as smart as I initally thought. I DID weld it in 4 places. The good newas was that I just stitched it together so I cut them with little to no problems. Then, I realized the problem was where I welded in the last support/strengthening plate. It was hitting the t-stat housing. I cut the front plate back off, tired to put it back together to no avail, and thought, "huh...thats weird". Looked really hard at it and found that it was hitting there. Ground the heck out of it and put it back on...problems solved.

Anyway, I had a limited amount of light since I had to go get a pickup, pick up a lawn mower, drive it back home, drive back and drop off the pickup, and make it back to get my daughter from school. So, I am back to being able to put it together with the two pieces seperate. Without a further adu...pix.

You must be registered for see images attach

The plate I had to have recut by Scotty.

The entire alt cage with blower mount sammiched in with the aluminum alt mount sammiched in betwixed the two other mounts.

Sides...never you minde the poor welds in some of the places. I will give you a baby, wind, and make you weld on the ground or inside of the vehicle/awkward positions and we will see how well you will fair.

There is a heck of a story behind this single part. I will tell you that several attempts were made to make this work and this was the final one. No problems as of yet, but it has still not started.

Here you can see the four welds that I used to make the front piece stick to the top. I will tell you it is a TON stronger with just stepping up in thickness of the front plate. Add to that the reinforcing of the original and you have a good solid foundation. If I had to do it again, I would have made the rear plate out of 1/4" and been done a long time ago. I just thought that starting with that fuel filter mount was going to make it faster...it didn't.

SWS

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Ehhh...I think what you are asking is when it will be complete. Mounting it will take a matter of minutes. In fact, the two bolts that go to the head are in. The allthread is in the 3rd hold and the two bottom ones are now solid mounted to the rear plate to stiffen up the bottom end. You can see one of the two bolts in the above pic and the other hole is there. The allthread is through the top mount for the alt. THe bottom three bolts/threads are what attaches the lower part of the front plate to the mount. There are 2 bolts that mount to the dead holes on the pass side of the alt. Those holes are seen on the right hand side of the screen and are on the piece that appears to have the "M" cut into it (which was made for clearance). Back to the original plan now to have it mounted, held into place, and then have a pair of bolts cut and mounted to the top portion (that was welded) after the other two mounts are bolted down. This will ensure the stiffness of the mount. I'm not really impressed with the way it looked in person, but when I looked at the pix and saw that I made the stitches in uniform, I was pretty impressed with my subconcious allowing me to do that.

No real hurdles left. I have to make the top and inlet for the SC, make them mount to the engine and call it a day. BUT, tomorrow I am taking my daughter hunting for her first time. She does not get to shoot (could not take her that week) but it will expose her to it. So, the bronco will have to wait. Work Fri, Sat, Sun, took off Mon to take the eldest Son. I will be able to drive it any time I want later...the time with them is limited.

SWS

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Sorry for the lack of updates, but I have been busy. Took my daughter hunting. We got one, so my son wanted to go. Took him hunting, we didnt even see a coyote. None the less, there is still time for that (and this tag I have left) later. So, yesterday I put it all together and found that when I decided to make the mount for the idlers the same as the front plate, it was too much and caused the pully to hit the alt. I guess I did not see it soon enough 'cause now its bent. Not much so I will run it. I shimmed both pullies and will get a few more soon to keep as spares. The mount and plates are on and painted flat black. Looks like an add on but if you think I am worried about the cosmetics, you are a loon. So, I found a pair of matching washers, a bolt, drilled a few holes, mounted most of the crap back together, and when I try to move it, you can see the engine move in the vehicle just prior to it shaking. SO, I have overcome that. Now, I am making the top for the SC. I will PROBABLY have pix up tomarrah for those who care, and will try to figure out the fuel filter in the next 24 hours. Running soon at this rate because it feels like this stuff is just flying together.

SWS

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Alright...so the fuel filter from the IDI is probably going to get moved so it is a pre-pump filter. It is a pain to try to get it to fit where I want so might as well do the upgrade now.

With that being said, what are these two ports for?

Do I need to get some sort of setup to block them off?

And which one of these is for the inlet and which is the outlet?

Alright, here is the new style top I am going to use. Remember, I am tight on space which is why it looks flat. There is more room there than you can see obviously from this pic. The square part bolts to the sc. As soon as I get it finished, I am going to use the round piece and the blue sheet metal to make the piece that will connect to the intake hat I made earlier. Since I am so short on time, I have to abandon the idea of using the factory air cleaner for now. Maybe next year I will be able to get back on track with it, but don't count on it as of now.

SWS

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like your intake. It looks good. As for the filter, could it be some sort of excess fuel return line? I'd make a new thread to ask just that question.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW when you get it started, would you post some videos of it idling by the engine and by the tail pipe and also driving down the road. I really can't wait to hear how it sounds...

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
The two large lines are inlet and outlet/bypass. The two smaller lines are for the feed lines to the heads, or in this case the IP. The top is going to get completed in the next few days. I still have to figure out what to do about the filter. I screwed up the inlet on the original filter head and it ate the threads off of it (didn't see it till it was too late) and until just now (at work) I realized I had another one at the hose off of the 6.9. If it works, I will use the factory one until I can get some time to match the fittings to the lines already existing. Should not be a problem now. As far as vids go, you KNOW it will come as soon as I can.

The problem with this is, I am going totally off of what I think instead of off of a pattern or reverse engineering something that I have seen in the past. Hopefully I will be able to have boost at all RPMs and no vacuum. With it being winter, I am not worried about IATs. In the summer I will check to see what the IATs are if they are over 10PSI. At that point, I will step up to the later style blower and check again. IF they are too high, I will get an IC. At that point, I will also try to find a 10% pully too.

Remember, I am not trying to make some beast by which all standards are set, I just want to maximize my efforts. If I have 8 psi in the summer, I should see almost 10 in the winter (hard to tell with the way it is set up). Going higher than that, will make an IC necessary...

SWS

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're getting close man. I'm jealous. Also I know you're not trying to set records. Its just an awesome and uniques setup and I look forward to its completion. As far as a newer M90 goes, would it be cheaper to buy that or to ports and rebuild an old style? Also when it comes down to intercoolers they are good no matter what IMO. I love how much more power mine makes now with my crappy ATS turbo.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
For the IC, yeah, it would be cool, but time is a problem since it has been down for M O N T H S and it is getting ready to get cold here. With that will come the snow. If it is anything like the last few years, it will be deep...as in measued by feet.

Anywho, the hat is past the rough in portion now. I have pix but had to go to work before getting to post them. I will do some finish welding, a bit more grinding and then seal and paint it within the next few days. I am very close on making the air filter match up to an inlet tube. I will need to make an adapter to go to the tube from the SC, but have already worked it out in my mind so it will be soon. Oh, and I DO have the fitting to make the fuel line work with the (current) fuel filter.

Pix will be uploaded tonight.

SWS

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Pics of the mountin system I built.

Here is the top sitting on the SC.

More pix. These are of the "rough in" setup. I already did the grinding on it so I need to do some rewelding and then seal it.

Next will be cleaning it up and painting it. It will not be the prettiest thing ever built, but you get the idea. Next (tonight), I will get more welding to finish sealing it and then actually seal it since the wire feed (don't have a TIG) leaves holes with the JB weld.

After that (tonight as well) I will start building the inlet. It will not be that tough and should not take too long. Quick on that end will allow me to have it running tomorrow.

SWS

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it looks good man. Its a neat setup. You gonna use a 90* boot going into the intake?

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
90* boot? Where would one acquire such a product? Thats exactly what I need. Here are the pix of the finished product. The inlet turned out really well for as many pieces of sheet metal I used. So, I left it and painted it. Its probably good enough for the late model SC as well (which has a square hole [] vs () on the ends). So, I mounted it tonight and cleaned the air filter. It feels like the coupler is shot so it will probably sound like a coffee can full of bbs when I start it tomorrow.

The intake tube is off of a later 7.3 power stroke so it is like 3ish inches. I didn't measure it, I just built to it. I have a few things left to tie up, like routing the heater hose and fuel hose around the SC and mount. Mounting the filter head will be easy enough for now...'till I full on retard and mount the 7.3 filter. I have some wiring left to do, but it should be cranking within' an hour of starting the work. Now, as far as that 90* hose goes, if there is some parts store that I can get to instead of waiting on like an ebay thing, I will go that route. If not, it will be a crappy pipe setup until I can get one.

SWS

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow its really looking good man. And as for the 90, it was off ebay. Maybe you can just use the hard pipe for a few days and then order it and have it coming so you can put it on next week. They are only like $10 iirc. I got them like 3 years ago.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
I went to Orilleys to see what they had. They had a 2 3/4" piece that was plastic so I passed on it.

So...the smart money was on charging the batteries yesterday. But hind sight is 20/20 as they say. So when I went out today, I tried to crank it off of one battery. Cranked for about 10 sec and then was s l o w. Put the other one on it and it cranked a little better, but not for very long. So, I played the charge a while and crank a while. After about 10 tries, I got pissed and (glow plugs not connected) gave it a shot of ether. No go. Checked the filter head with the pump running and there was nothing coming out of the purge valve. So, I ran up and got a few gallons of #2 and tried to throw that in the tank to see if I could thin out the oil.

I put a diesel filler neck on it about a month ago, and apparently did not get the vent hose hooked up properly because it would only take about half a gallon before pushing back to the top. Hmmm...Not sure what the deal is since the vent is all the way in the top of the tank and there is only 1/2 a tank or so full.

Long and short: I do not think my lift pump is strong enough to pump oil in the winter. After I get it going, I bet it will pump the diesel (I kinda knew that going into this), so I am going to fill the filter at the head with #2 and put it back on. I wll warm up the block with the heater since my fuel runs through the rad and see if I can get it thin enough to start. If that is the case, I will try to fanagle the filler neck to see if I can get it to flow enough to get at least 1/2 a tank of #2. That SHOULD solve the problem. If it does, I am golden. If not, I think I may be a bit screwed. I have a carrier pump, but don't want to rerout my fuel lines just yet. It is busy under the hood of this thing as it is, and I want to get ALL of my bugs worked out first. I still have to finish adding the AC, fix the rats nest of wiring, swap over from the 84 to late model thermal resistor, figure out a way to get vacuum to the contorl panel, and a few other odds and ins. I thought I would have it running today NA (blower hooked up but not to the intake), and put the 90 in it tomorrow. It seems that just cranking it does not move as much air as I was hoping, but hopefully it will pump enough that there is not a vacuum on the intake. If that is the case, I am sure it will move enought to at least show boost when I am driving...Oh...and I have to plumb in the boost gauge too.

SWS

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online