almost 20 seconds for WTS lite

jlwoods99

Reaction score
I put new beru glow plugs in and 2 new interstate batteries this summer. It takes almost 20 seconds the first time in the morning for the WTS light to go out. What do I check next. Its not starting real easy either and I did a electric lift pump and new fuel lines as well as return lines. Any Id's would be appreciated. Also brand new glow plug controller this spring. I don't have many miles on it this summer as I worked on it most summer long.

Thanks!

Jim

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Outside temp? Condition of wire connectors for plugs? Depending on how cold outside it is almost 20seconds for WTS is normal...

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
About only thing I can think of is power wire that is used to feed the solenoid has too much reistance in it and thus cutting down available voltage and not getting the new GP's hot enough...

Is that connecter near the inner fender where the GP harness connects to main harness...is it in good condition?

JM2CW

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That main engine wiring harness plug is your problem. All the amps and voltage must go thru a tiny connecter. Any corrision wil heat up that plug and melt it. Mine did this so I ran a 4 gauge speaker wire directly from the solenoid to the controller.. Now it hots up fast and sure. The controller uses the two yellow wires to feed power to the controller. Its not big enough wires and going thru the plug kills the available amps ...

jlwoods99

Reaction score
Thanks to all I will check those things, I guess yesterday it was about 24 degrees outside. I've been reading all the hardstart forums and wasn't sure where to go next.

Jim

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was it hard to get those plugs in under the Banks turbo? I will be facing the same issue.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The banks turbo does cause some issus but start there first. Then you know all the other plugs are easier to get in and out. Installing the new plugs is easier with a piece of rubber hose over the ends to act as a driver to get them started. Look at the area below the threads. See the beveled seat land.. Thats the ONLY place you seal these plugs with. Never allow antisiez on that surface but make sure you apply it to the threads so the next guy removing them wont have any issues.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online