Air suspensions

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How durable are the airbag suspensions? Are they cosidered too light for off road work?

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This might be off base, but the big rigs are air ride right? Most large trailers I see look to be air ride? If the big excavating trailers can do it, why not m/d trucks?

All I have been hearing about lately is firstone air bags... do they make them?

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Aside form sacrificing some ground clearance, I think class 6-8 air ride, is better than springs, for offroad use.
Better ride, better articulation, less frame stress. If you blow out a bag, it takes an hour, tops, to change one, with no special tools. Springs, hmm , half a day, on an old junker, and u-bolts, bushing press, axle alignment, etc. I'd have air ride/air brakes on my pickup, if I had the time/money.

As for durability, I have nothing against rear air ride. I've heard nothing but bad about air ride on steer axles. Lots of tires wear, suspension wear issues. They look pretty cheesy, too.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brian,

No there's plenty of spring suspension big rigs, especially mediums still being built, but air ride
rigs are getting more popular all the time.

My truck rides surprisingly nice, but I wouldn't mind knowing how much a conversion for one rear axle costs.

Sbrem

Reaction score
I like the air ride in a tractor, but I don't think I'd want it in a dump truck. There are a few air ride dumps around here and they don't seem too stable while dumping. Make sure to remember to dump the air out of the bags before raising the body. Might not be as much of an issue on a single axle, as the smaller body doesn't go as high. I hear good things about that Hendrickson rubber block suspension, although I have never dirven anything with it. It would be nice not having to worry about breaking leaf springs or ripping air bags.

Stephen

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the whole deal behind the rubber block suspension? Is it leafs with rubber blocks to keep the
hangers from bottoming out? Or is it an actual rubber spring? I guess I could just do a google search....lol.

Sbrem

Reaction score
You can see the rubber system here

Again, I have no experience with it, but I have heard good things about it

Stephen

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very cool link. Explains everything about suspensions. Nice post.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Originally posted by Sbrem
Make sure to remember to dump the air out of the bags before raising the body.

I forgot about that completely. I've seen a few guys tear stuff up, on grain trailers, before they mounted dump valves, back by the hopper controls.

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
I hear good things about that Hendrickson rubber block suspension
It must not be from the people who drive them! Drive a roll off with that suspension for a day and you will *** blood!
Ken

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know what's funny? My 4800 4x4 rides much nicer than my F-450 4x4. I think it's all in the wheelbase being longer.

I guess air ride seats don't hurt, either. lol.

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
Its a late reply but I just joined :D

Rubber block walking beam suspension is a body killer then combine that with out of round tires with no weight over the back bogies your teeth will be on the floor.

As for air ride on a dump truck no its not a good idea especially for your truck Duke because you are in softer conditions because you will go where a 2wd single axle dump will not go.

The best suspension for a dump truck is Hendrickson Ext leaf it doesn't ride all that rough. Mack Camel back springs is a rough riding suspension.

A good air ride comfortable seat will take up some of the road bumps and viberations.

BigBadDodge

Reaction score
I removed my springs and made my own bag system last year I love the ride

You must be registered for see images attach

More pics HERE under suspension.

BBD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online