Air suspensions

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
VERY impressive. :love: I would love to have that on my F-450 4x4. It rides pretty rough unloaded.

I often wondered why OEM's wouldn't offer this on dually pick-ups to smooth out the ride.

Guess it adds to much to production costs?

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
I just read an article, today, in an old issue of Truckin' magazine, that showed a really slick air ride setup for a dualie. Don't remember the name, but it was a fully adjustable lowrider air kit. Changed the rear from leaf to 4-link, and front from torsion bars, to integrated bag/shocks. It was a complete system, and really didn't look that complicated to install.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Naw it was some of that mainstream dtuff you seen on cars and light trucks. I don't remember the name. I can look at it again tommorow, when I invade the office for my morning constitutional. LOL

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
I looked at the article today. I was made by Air Ride Technologies.(as if that was so hard to remember)

Came with everything, including the new lower c-arms and torsion bars for the front, and a super slick 4-link kit for the rear, with box sections for frame notches. It was a kit to make one sit low down. They had it all set up with electric over air switches, electronic pressure senders/gauges, high $ compressor, dual tanks, and full independent adjustment.

Dr. C

Reaction score
We've set up a lot of dump trucks with air ride suspension. They work great. You'll want a short bag type suspension, like a pete air leaf or early freightliner air ride. You don't want tall bags. The stability is all in how you set things up. You want to set your leveler valves up from side to side, this will eliminate the top heavy rock and roll feel, that ends up layin ya on your side. If you get in a really bad spot, dump the air to your bags and you will have more stability than any functional spring suspension. Air ride won't hop and carry on when you're tryin to climb up out of a hole with now weight in the box like a walkin beam or stiff spring set up will. On the other hand, air ride on a dump box set up the wrong way will give a guy high blood pressure. Happy haulin'.

dozer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the guys I've talked to who pull off-road (dump, logs, etc), hate air-ride...because of poor traction. They all tell me that the Hendrickson walking-beam gives the best pull-out traction.

Maybe a HWB with airbags would be the ticket... :D

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
Hendrickson ext leaf spring walking beam suspension is the best vocational suspension out there. Air ride isn't that good for vocational trucks its too tippy for starters plus you don't have that good of axle articulation.

Mack Camel back suspension is good too it will kill your body eventually but it works good off road and on road. Chalmers suspension has too many rubber bushings and parts to wear out. Volvo uses a suspension called T ride it looks weird but supposidly it works good.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online