Air intrusion with electric fuel pump

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Put the original filter head back on this engine. From your pic I see a 1/4 inch fuel line running from the filter to maybe the return line. My guess is thats your problem. Now the return line kit you installed.You can't mix and match the systems. Green clamps is the small set and red clamps is the large set.Never ever try to use both sizes on the same engine. you will have leaks.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now... with an electric pump, what matters is the supply side.

Remember - fuel will leak out when under pressure, not air leaking in.

As long as you are getting fuel to the IP(and not air), that's what matters. Any 'air intrusion' from the return side of things might manifest overnight(if your e-pump is letting fuel drain back to the tank; check valves not working right), but not when you are working on it.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're getting air in the filter head while the electric pump is running, the leak has to be between tank & pump. Any breach in fuel system between pump and engine will show up as leaking fuel.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're getting air in the filter head while the electric pump is running, the leak has to be between tank & pump. Any breach in fuel system between pump and engine will show up as leaking fuel.
This. ^^^

I was getting foamy diesel due to a fitting I didn’t know was loose.

mr_smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed the filter head and now it's running. Don't know how well because I have a couple wires smoking but for now the fuel issue appears to be resolved.

Joseph Davis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try cracking open the gas cap because the electric fuel pump creates a vapor lock in tank which looks like air? When you buy a gas cap make sure it has a one way vent hole so it can suck in and not blow out. I had to do this with an electric fuel pump because the excess fuel is used to cool the IP and returns back to the tank. Gas caps for cars are sealed shut no air movement.